OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Al Agnew

Chanterelles

I have one of those little Japanese mini trucks for use on our land, but it hasn't been running for about a year now.  So today I bought a new battery and messed around with it a bit and got it running.  I took it up the lane leading to the food plot in the woods behind the house.  As I was heading up the hill to the food plot, I saw something bright yellow in the middle of the lane, and instantly knew what it was.  Remember the really wet summer a couple years ago when the mushrooms went crazy?  I had found chanterelles right in that same spot that summer.  I stopped and wandered up the lane, picking a dozen or so.  Then I went to another spot on our land that was full of them that year, and found a few more.  Not quite like that year, when we found them just about everywhere and had bushels of them.  But enough to add to our grilled, smoked chicken tonight.  I think we'll get up in the morning and go for a short hike in the spot where we found a ton of them that year.

We got into a couple of patches last night.

20180702_193752.jpg

20180702_195118.jpg

20180702_195133.jpg

20180702_195637.jpg

20180702_205229.jpg

Not like a couple of years ago when we found over 10 lbs in this spot. But certainly enough to say that we got a few for some meals.

Also found a stand of starry campion wildflowers and boletes that we weren't able to identify yet.

20180702_200732.jpg

Still finding a few chants behind the house, including right in the back yard, but they aren't exactly thriving.  Nearly all are the smooth underside ones, which the book I have says are inferior in taste to the ones with gills.  I don't know whether that's true or not, because they still seem pretty tasty.