ICAST 2018

Here's some of the offerings coming out at ICAST 2018.  Definitely some interesting stuff in there, especially the Realis Namazu.  Looks like a jitterbug, topwater frog, and a swimbait had a menage-a-trois.

https://www.bassmaster.com/slideshow/icast-2018

206_namazu.jpg?itok=PT-7PVYa

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

Both Daiwa and Shimano have new reels coming out.  Daiwa has some new rods as well.  Berkley has a whole line of knock off lures based on other peoples designs.  Abu has announced some new spinning and casting reels.  I haven't heard of any new Lews but would hope they have something new.   Many of the manufactures are announcing new stuff at the Classic now so some of the new stuff has been out for a little while.  On the other hand sometimes stuff gets announced but then isn't available for some months.  Anyway it is an exciting time to me.  I will certainly be watching for daily updates.  I can't buy it all but it is still cool to look at. 

9 hours ago, timinmo said:

Both Daiwa and Shimano have new reels coming out.  Daiwa has some new rods as well.  Berkley has a whole line of knock off lures based on other peoples designs.  Abu has announced some new spinning and casting reels.  I haven't heard of any new Lews but would hope they have something new.   Many of the manufactures are announcing new stuff at the Classic now so some of the new stuff has been out for a little while.  On the other hand sometimes stuff gets announced but then isn't available for some months.  Anyway it is an exciting time to me.  I will certainly be watching for daily updates.  I can't buy it all but it is still cool to look at. 

Since I'm going to ICAST on Tuesday, I've been getting releases on new products. And, yes, Lew's does have some new reels this year as well as some things that are still under wraps.  

Virtually every exhibitor will have new products or be at the show for the first time.  While it would be fun to keep adding to this thread with new items, that's about all I would be doing for the next few days...  

Some things that have popped up recently: a hybrid monofilament/copolymer that incorporates GSP, the material used in super-lines; several new kayaks or kayak companies; at least two versions of bladed jigs that are very different; enough "new" types of frogs to fill a pond; too many soft plastics; a small-bodied, deep-diving square bill from Strike King; new electronics that network with everything including your socks; Evinrude/Alumacraft/BRP exhibiting for the first time; a lot of new rods; new reels from everybody-- you get the idea: virtually everybody has something new that is a real "game changer".  

Virtually everything is a either "new", or "game changer", or whatever will be the latest superlative to become a cliche.   Despite the hype, it's a fun show. 

I'll try to report back, but unfortunately, I have to work while there, and that limits fun time.

Couple of things popped up today: St. Croix has the Mojo Yak series of rods new this year as well as fiberglass spinning rods.  I've tried the FG casting rods, and they feel very, very good

Also, 13 Fishing has a lipless crank bait out this year as well as a new walking bait.

I'm confused with the yak rods though.  They are still 7-7.5' long.  That makes them less than manageable in a kayak.  They really need a rod that is 6-6.5" that has all the qualities of a longer rod.  I use 7' rods in my 11.5' kayak and when they are laying on the deck in front of me the tips stick out just past the front of the kayak making them laydown magnets.  There's very few times you need a longer rod in a kayak to make a long bomb cast, well, at least when river fishing.

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

2 hours ago, moguy1973 said:

I'm confused with the yak rods though.  They are still 7-7.5' long.  That makes them less than manageable in a kayak.  They really need a rod that is 6-6.5" that has all the qualities of a longer rod.  I use 7' rods in my 11.5' kayak and when they are laying on the deck in front of me the tips stick out just past the front of the kayak making them laydown magnets.  There's very few times you need a longer rod in a kayak to make a long bomb cast, well, at least when river fishing.

I think they are more geared towards the Yak tournament fisher. It's all hype.

5 hours ago, Quillback said:

Yak rods - good idea from a marketing perspective.  Are the fiberglass spinning rods targeted towards light cranks?

Dunno on the last as all the info I got was that they were an intro this year. The casting versions cover the bases.

Haven't done more than look at titles of things as I leave early tomorrow and still have to pack and do the usual stuff before a trip...

One thing that came in this morning was a preview of Livetarget's new soft-body baits. One that should strike a chord with the Table Rock guys is the hollow-body crawdad.  It looks good and may well be too good.  

There are quite a few fishing apps and games this year, and the new electronics look really good online.  Kinda wish I was there tomorrow to see the on-the-water demos. 

I don't know about the lengths, I tend to agree with Jim.  I think the kayak part is in the length of the handles, specially if you are a robust figured guy like me.  I just enjoy all the crap, some of it I will never own, some of it I can't wait to get my hands on. 

Dunno, looks like the kayak rods have better components than the standard St Croix. Usually wrap my own canoe/kayak rods. Will have to get several in hand to check them out. Glad that a major mfg is interested in making rods for low draft watercraft instead of 8' lake boat fishing poles for a change. Most of my river gear poles are 5' 6" or 6'. Will use a 6' 9" or a 7' on occasion.