OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jacob McIntosh

First time fishing the current

Two Rivers to Logyard might fit that description. Two Rivers is at the confluence of the Current and Jacks Fork, and there are no canoe liveries between there and Van Buren (About 35 miles downstream). Most canoe rentals only put folks in upstream and let them float down  to the canoe rental on busy summer weekends.

Current River Map

Fished the lower Current a ton last summer, as I was living/working basically on its banks. Some great smallie fishing around and below Big Spring (aka below Van Buren). It drops off a bit IMO by the time you get down towards Doniphan, but it's still decent. As someone else mentioned, some surprisingly solid walleye fishing, too. I've never targeted them, but caught several while targeting smallies. It's big water and definitely a different feel than any other Ozark stream I've fished, or even the middle Current.

I have always thought of the Current as a trout stream. I fished it for well over a decade before I ever fished below Cedar grove. Still hard to wrap my head around thinking of the Current as a big river with more traditional river species.