Camping at Meramec State Park

Daryk Campbell Sr

Went camping with the family, got to fish for a few hours yesterday early afternoon while the kids played in the water and the wife read a book.  First,  there aren't many opportunities for fishing on land.  If you don't have some kind of watercraft, be ready to do some wading.  I can't really do that.  So, that being said, I did what I could.   First I foul hooked a drum.  No picture as it was not legally caught. I then caught 2 of these fish. 20180728_155517.jpg

I seen some of the beasts that have been invading the lakes.   20180728_162650.jpg

There was a unicorn also.  

Now for the good stuff.   My son wanted to micro fish.  I tried my best to show him what @Johnsfolly taught me.  We tried, I had one take the bait, but I couldn't hook it.  We tried for about an hour, but no takes. I seen a few neat fish, and tried to get Lucas to see them, but he just couldn't focus on them.  We found a little pool with some small guys.   I gave Lucas the pole, he felt a few tugs and got very happy.  He didn't set the hook, but he was hooked.   He kept trying and he finally got one ad our time was running over.  Just couldn't leave.  Images to follow. Apparently I've met my limit.  

Money is just ink and paper, worthless until it switches hands, and worthless again until the next transaction. (me)

I am the master of my unspoken words, and the slave to those that should have remained unsaid. (unknown)

20180729_092741.jpg

Money is just ink and paper, worthless until it switches hands, and worthless again until the next transaction. (me)

I am the master of my unspoken words, and the slave to those that should have remained unsaid. (unknown)

1 hour ago, Daryk Campbell Sr said:

20180729_092741.jpg

That's a fat western mosquitofish. Very nice! Congrats to Lucas for persisting and catching a nice micro! Even as small as these fish are you can't be timid in setting the hook! Much of the time the fish is just holding the bait in its mouth and the hook point doesn't even penetrate. So they simply open their mouth and drop off 😒!

Daryk don't be timid as you set the hook. You don't want your name to become a verb. Livie likes to say that I "Johned" a fish if the fish flies behind me as I set the hook too hard😌. I did that with a slender madtom this evening. It came off as I swung my rod over the bank behind me. 

Seems to me that all state parks are site on top of site.  We tent camp,  so hookups/ electricity are not needed.  The experience is always pleasant at the parks.  My kids are usually safe, and they have programs for the family.  We even took the cave tour.  I do recommend it, price was low, experience was good.