OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
straw hat

Used Motor

I live on a fixed income so the cheaper the price the better.  lol

I would have to have electronic ignition but other than that no special conditions. Can you give me some details on the unit please?

Took it in on trade awhile back.  Compression is excellent and gearcase is flawless, seems pretty low hours.   It will get a full refresh work over before it leaves and I'll honor a reasonable warranty if I install it.     I was hanging onto it for a future Jon boat project but as always everything I own is for sale.  IMG_20180802_135619254.jpgIMG_20180802_135701292~2.jpg

Shop around and see what the best deal you can find is, then let me know and I'll see if I can beat it.

You know I should have contacted you. My 1997 50 horse Force motor blew out two sets of gaskets on the motor and broke two motor bolts. They wanted to charge me $700 to fix it and I had to pay $225 just for the estimate. I didn't see the sense in putting that much money into a 20 year old motor that had already been rebuilt once before. What I wanted to mention was they wanted me to pay an extra $40 to take the old motor off my hands. I would up salvaging what parts I could and selling it for scrap metal. I would have just as soon given it to you for parts.

It is a 1984-85  35hp. The same motor was made from 1983-1989 so aquiring parts will never be a problem.  It can be boosted to 45hp very easily... but I wouldn't recommend it.  It actually puts out 38hp. stock.   Truthfully it's not the best choice for a pontoon unless it's just an 18 footer.   You'd need a different prop than the one that's on it if you are pushing a toon. It's currently propped for a 16' wide Jon boat. 

Yes I am in Gravois Mills.

3 hours ago, straw hat said:

. My 1997 50 horse Force motor blew out two sets of gaskets on the motor and broke two motor bolts. They wanted to charge me $700 to fix it and I had to pay $225 just for the estimate. I didn't see the sense in putting that much money into a 20 year old motor that had already been rebuilt once before. What I wanted to mention was they wanted me to pay an extra $40 to take the old motor off my hands. I would up salvaging what parts I could and selling it for scrap metal. I would have just as soon given it to you for parts

Yeah alot of places play those kinda games. It's uncalled for, there's no problem earning a good living without shafting people like that.   They obviously over-extended their overhead, which was THEIR MISTAKE, not yours.  They made bad business decisions and they expect their customers to pay for it.    

I must admit, I hate outboard motors, copy machines and lawnmowers. They never seem to work right or last long. lol

I was looking for something a little newer than that to be honest. I think I will pass. The way I feel about boats/motors right now is that I may take my boat out to the lake, drill too holes in the pontoons and make a brush pile out of it.  lol

Thank you for your time and sorry for the inconvenience.

No inconvenience at all.   You want the price to be as low as possible but you want one that's newer.  You're gonna be a tough sell.   😀

My first question was "What's the budget?"   Clue me on what the budget allows and I will see if I can find you the best deal for that amount of money.  

JFTR newer isn't always better, some of the newer model years can be real turds. 

I have a 1985 Evinrude 60 with controls for $800.  It's still attached to an 85 Ozark bass boat.  You have to take it as a package.  I need to get rid of it.  I started tearing off the carpet to replace some rotten wood deck and a divorce happened so selling for motor value.  Trim does not work.  Otherwise the motor ran fine last summer.