Muskie

kelbrand

• Members

This is probably a bad time to ask (considering the extended heat, lack of rain, etc.), but when is a good time to fish for Muskie at Pomme? Spent a week last month catching Pike in northern Minnesota and am itching to catch some muskie here at home.

15 hours ago, kelbrand said:

This is probably a bad time to ask (considering the extended heat, lack of rain, etc.), but when is a good time to fish for Muskie at Pomme? Spent a week last month catching Pike in northern Minnesota and am itching to catch some muskie here at home.

As you mentioned its too hot to fish and release musky without possibly killing them. Water is too warm and low in oxygen. Overcast and windy days in Oct/Nov are good times forΒ musky on the lake that I typically fish for them in MOΒ and would assume the same on Pomme. I have only fished Pomme once forΒ musky and we did not land any, but had a few good encounters. Good luck and post a couple of photos!

I haven't fished Pomme for years, and when I did it was for Bass, Whites, and Crappie.i am going to try and get a Muskie on the fly rod this year, operative word "try." Just wondering what part of the lake has good numbers? I've caught Pike on flies up north and it was fantastic. Any pointers on Pomme would be appreciated.

Know of a 2 boat crew that caught 5 over a weekendΒ early this May.Β  They were throwing big inline spinners.Β  All were caughtΒ early in the day.Β  Β 

Conversely, I was at state park marina Saturday afternoonΒ of Muskie Tournament last year, not sure how many boats they had, but at time I talked to a local muskie guide, the entire field hadn't measured aΒ fish.

A buddy and I caught 5 muskie this morning and had 2 more blow up on Whopper Ploppers. Bad news is we lost 2 Whopper Ploppers to them.

Guess I should have said we were bass fishin we were not trying to catch muskies. We caught 3 and had the 2 blow ups in the first 20 minutes of fishin this morning. Then caught the other 2 at about 10:30. If you catch one of them toothy critters with a Plopper stuck in its face I would like it back please and thank you.

46 minutes ago, Ranger520vx said:

Guess I should have said we were bass fishin we were not trying to catch muskies. We caught 3 and had the 2 blow ups in the first 20 minutes of fishin this morning. Then caught the other 2 at about 10:30. If you catch one of them toothy critters with a Plopper stuck in its face I would like it back please and thank you.

Last time that I went musky fishing we met a couple of bass fishermen. They told us that they couldn't keep the muskies off of their white spinnerbaits. Did we catch any? Nope.πŸ˜’

I did hook what looked like a personal best largemouth on a musky sized bucktail only to lose it at the boat.