Something Different 8/10

Seth Clarkson

Put in at Fine Addition at sunrise and got off the water around 4. Didn't have much bass after a keeper spot on our first point with a tube. Others we caught were small and either on a jig or tube mainly up shallow around chunk Rock. No breeze so made things a little uncomfortable and maybe that coupled with the rain that came through couple days prior shut the fishing down. However I did catch my first flathead that weighed 6lbs. I was hoping it was a giant smallmouth but realized it wasn't when it tried to just lay flat on the bottom rather than fighting. Also hooked a near 3 ft spotted gar on a puke tube as well. Fought it for awhile. On 8 lb flouroclear and when attempting to net it from the tail end (so it didn't get its teeth or hook in the net) it jumped out and broke the line. 

20180810_111955.jpg

Those flatheads are ugly sons of guns, but they do pull.  I usually will get one or two a year accidentally while bass fishing and it's usually around September.  Don't know if it is coincidence or if they get more active this time of year during the day.

On 8/15/2018 at 9:07 AM, Quillback said:

Those flatheads are ugly sons of guns, but they do pull.  I usually will get one or two a year accidentally while bass fishing and it's usually around September.  Don't know if it is coincidence or if they get more active this time of year during the day.

I just assumed I happened to drop that tube on its head and got the reaction haha. My hands sure smelled after dealing with it, but glad to have caught it. 

My first and only flathead was on table rock with guide Bill Beck. It was about 6#. His first words were "if youre not keeping it I am". It was good eating much better than a channel. Hope yours ended in the skillet.

The answer may not lie at the bottom of a glass, but you should always check

11 hours ago, curtisce said:

My first and only flathead was on table rock with guide Bill Beck. It was about 6#. His first words were "if youre not keeping it I am". It was good eating much better than a channel. Hope yours ended in the skillet.

I should have, but I let it go. Most of my family, including myself doesn't really eat fish. I just enjoy catching and releasing them. Someone else will catch it again and have a bigger meal at that point.