electronics setup

garyw

I've been in touch with guys who have them and say that is something to be that they have to watch.  They said it is an easy correction.  I don't know as I have never been in a boat with one of them.  I just know that I want the electric stow and deploy and use 2d and down all the time.

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

I've been in touch with guys who have them and say that is something to be that they have to watch.  They said it is an easy correction.  I don't know as I have never been in a boat with one of them.  I just know that I want the electric stow and deploy and use 2d and down all the time.

On the Ulterra, during spot lock, the motor will wrap the power cord around the shaft up to 540 degrees (1 and 1/2 turns). Then it will stop running and unwind itself before proceeding.  Without seeing more than the video shows I can't tell if there is enough slack in the elastic curly cord to deal with that. Probably, but I would check it out.

I have zero experience with the Ulterra but absolutely love my Unltrex and find it to be by far the easiest to deploy and stow of any of the many trolling motors I've owned over the last hundred or so years.

The "assist" mechanism that's incorporated into the Ultrex really does make a significant difference.  

Now if I had a reliable way to deploy and stow by merely pushing a button I guess I'd be all in but I've heard too many stories (such as rps alluded to) of assorted problems and failures to have personally considered the Ulterra.   

Of course, mine's on a Z521 so I have more leverage when lifting to deploy and stow than a guy would if the motor's mounted above the level of his feet.  I guess that would have to be something to consider as well and maybe make the choice a little more difficult as it certainly adds another perspective to your decision.

I guess you would have to actually try one to see if the ease of use is compatible to your needs but I'd make sure that where the motor is installed on the bow is similar to what you're going to be using.

Good luck and congratulations on the new boat!

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."  George Carlin

"The only money ever wasted is money never spent."  Me.

I have a newer terrova. Which is not in the same class as the ones your looking at. But I can tell that there is no issue with cable wrap in spot lock mode. It handles that very well. My problem is with the lift assist spring. You cannot run the transducer cable down the flat part of the shaft. So for now I am stuck using the there internal transducer, which leaves a lot to be desired. My two choices so far are to use some clunky looking after market get up. Or wait for the warranty to expire, and remove the lift assist. Then I can use the shaft.

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity...... Or you could just flip a coin???B)

I had an Ulterra.  Switched to Ultrex.  The steering on the Ultrex is more responsive.  There is an assist shock for raising and lowering.  Much easier than the old ones.  Spot lock works well too.  It’s all in what your budget can withstand.  

I've had the Ulterra for above 6 months now.  Love it because I'm sooo old that I need/want the automatic stow and deploy.  If the cord warps around the motor on spot lock too many times, it just automatically turns itself back around.  I have the Iplot LINK and since I have the troller and both Helix units connected together, I rarely use the handheld remote.  Motor turning response is plenty  fast for me but not as fast as the old push pull cable units.   I have had occasion to use the automatic feature of running the bank at a predetermined speed and depth - pretty slick for spawn fishing - you can save the track and run it again anytime - Don't think the Ultrex can do that.

Two possible negatives

1) I use the 2D sonar puck in the troller but since I have all three units tied together I can see the side and down image from the console unit if I want to but rarely do that.  Some guys do install a down/side imaging puck on the motor and run the cable up the side.

2) If you loss power while the unit is deployed, the unit loses its memory and doesn't know where it's at.  There is a manual stow procedure (a laminated card is provided with the unit), Once it is stowed, reboot and back in business - NOTE TO SELF - DON'T HIT THE POWER BUTTON WHEN THE UNIT IS DEPLOYED.

My guess that the Pros will never use the Ulterra because of these two negatives and because they are more complicated which can lead to failure which a Pro cannot tolerate when money is on the line.