Buzzed by our Air Force jets...

netboy

Pretty cool .

Last night around 9ish we were upstairs watching TV and all of a sudden we saw lights zipping up the White river valley just outside our house. It was so fast we didn't know what to think. UFO's or what the heck.

Well just now (6:15 pm next day) we see a military jet flying low up the river valley and doing a bat-turn just before Cotter. Then two more following. Really impressive to see the high speed maneuvers.

Way too fast to get a picture.

10 minutes ago, netboy said:

Pretty cool .

Last night around 9ish we were upstairs watching TV and all of a sudden we saw lights zipping up the White river valley just outside our house. It was so fast we didn't know what to think. UFO's or what the heck.

Well just now (6:15 pm next day) we see a military jet flying low up the river valley and doing a bat-turn just before Cotter. Then two more following. Really impressive to see the high speed maneuvers.

Way too fast to get a picture.

Neat,

We get to see that pretty regularly farther north. Around Truman lake especially. In one of the rivers that dump into Truman with steep bluffs the things are on you and up the river and gone before you know it!  I think the ones we see are coming out of Whiteman AFB,

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

A-10s, usually don’t hear them until AFTER they zip over...gives a real good idea why they are so popular with the troops.  They seem to like to fly the lakes - see them often on LOZ.

Mike

They blast over our place on average 3 times a week, usually in pairs but sometimes in groups of 4.   Everytime they do it I can't help but think...."there goes about 4 million of our tax dollars pissed away today".

The last time they were needed they failed to respond, and the pilots on call then are drawing their retirement now. 😥

2 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

They blast over our place on average 3 times a week, usually in pairs but sometimes in groups of 4.   Everytime they do it I can't help but think...."there goes about 4 million of our tax dollars pissed away today".

But doesn't it make you feel all safe and everything?  Or would you rather see a new water tower or bridge or something you might actually need to use someday?  Don't get me wrong, I was USMC so no problem with the military.  But for crying out loud, how much stronger do we need to be?

7 minutes ago, Terrierman said:

But doesn't it make you feel all safe and everything?

Nope.  I'd feel better if we had all the money back....and never had them to begin with.  

Like I said, the last (only?) time they could have been used they fumbled the ball.

A-10s are ancient by military hardware standards; numerous attempts to shelve them to waste billions more on something else have failed(except for the REAL goal of spending the $$)as the newer airframes can’t do the job they do as effectively.   Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke.

Mike

We saw a two B2 stealth bombers fly over LOZ a couple years ago when we were there as they were heading back to Whiteman AFB.  Pretty cool to see those flying above.  

Back when I was in Boy Scouts during summer camps down at S/F Ranch near Farmington F-18's would do test runs over the lake and sometimes they would buzz the lake real close and do a  vertical pull and the water would lift up out of the lake about 20' due to the force of the air behind the jets.  Awesome site that I'll always remember.  Used to break the sound barrier too with a few sonic booms.

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

up until 1997 we had 165 Minuteman II missile silos in central Missouri many along HWY 54 which was our route on many of our fishing trips to Truman and LOZ. A-10s and a few armed helos patrolled those silos, if  you felt like testing your heart you could drive up to get a good look at the "we can kill you for being here signs"  and could get buzzed by an a-10 or armed helo.... I think those sites were sold off, would have been a great place to have bought for a prepper.

111a.jpg

MONKEYS? what monkeys?