North Platte River, WY

Smallie Seeker

I'm headed to WY Sept. 29th till Oct. 7th to hunt unit 78.  I have tags for antelope and an antlered deer. Hoping to tag my first Mule deer buck. 

Although main objective is to hunt, I want to spend some time fishing the N. Platte river. 

I'll be focusing on the section from the Colorado border north to Saratoga, and will be bringing a flyrod and a lightweight spinning rod.

Looking for any pointers on best access points, guides to look up, flies/lures/jigs to bring, maps to purchase or any other general advice that would help. 

Thanks in advance for any info provided!

4 hours ago, Smallie Seeker said:

I'm headed to WY Sept. 29th till Oct. 7th to hunt unit 78.  I have tags for antelope and an antlered deer. Hoping to tag my first Mule deer buck. 

Although main objective is to hunt, I want to spend some time fishing the N. Platte river. 

I'll be focusing on the section from the Colorado border north to Saratoga, and will be bringing a flyrod and a lightweight spinning rod.

Looking for any pointers on best access points, guides to look up, flies/lures/jigs to bring, maps to purchase or any other general advice that would help. 

Thanks in advance for any info provided!

My friend fly fishes that stretch every year. Unfortunately, I have never fished it and he is currently hunting elk in the snowy range right now and inaccessible until October. I spoke to him last week and he did say it fished well with many fish over 14 inches. Don't know what he was using though. 

15 minutes ago, Johnsfolly said:

My friend fly fishes that stretch every year. Unfortunately, I have never fished it and he is currently hunting elk in the snowy range right now and inaccessible until October. I spoke to him last week and he did say it fished well with many fish over 14 inches. Don't know what he was using though. 

Good Luck!

I have fished the section from North of Casper all the way into Casper. That may be south of where you are. We fished that stretch for 3.5 days and those fish hammered the Zig Jigs!! We caught a ton of really nice rainbows that fought like a bull dozer. 

Floated a section on a guide trip in 2015. Hack’s Tackle our of Saratoga. Fairly big water...not sure how wadable it is so I’d suggest you call them or do some research. Encampment River at Hog Park is very nice water and close. Are you staying in Saratoga?

John

We’ve had some very good fishing floating from Bennett’s peak campground to treasure island but the water is super skinny in the fall. The stretch downstream from Saratoga has much more reliable water levels.

If you don’t hire a guide will need the upper north Platte floaters map from the WGFD. Study it closely, you will find very little public land and accessable wading water below the National forest at Bennett. Take the trespassing warnings serious, the land owners are extremely hostile towards anyone touching their rocks. If the wind blows your boat to shore or if you put a foot down to steady a pontoon boat you will likely have someone screaming at you while speed dialing the sheriff.  

That said it’s one the longest freestone trout rivers in the west, a beautiful place with lots of wild trout. 

His father touches the Claw in spite of Kevin's warnings and breaks two legs just as a thunderstorm tears the house apart. Kevin runs away with the Claw. He becomes captain of the Greasy Bastard, a small ship carrying rubber goods between England and Burma. Michael Palin, Terry Jones, 1974

Thanks for the info fellas. 

Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances, I've been forced to cancel the trip. I have been putting in a lot of miles on my mountain bike to get in shape for this trip.

Well a loose rock trail I was riding on this past Monday gave out from under me and sent me sliding down a ravine. Fell 20 feet and landed on a rock outcrop. Broke 2 ribs, partially collapsed my left lung, and had a slight concussion. Don't remember the fall or anything till I was in the ambulance. 

Did get it all on my GoPro. It's weird having 15 mins of video of me disorientated, but still conscious and talking that I have no recollection of.   

I'm off to a good recovery and returned back to work today, earlier than expected. Luckily WY allows tag $ refunds for medical issues. 

There's always next year!

Bummer man!

Here is to a speedy recovery and there will be other trips ,

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

2 hours ago, Smallie Seeker said:

Thanks for the info fellas. 

Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances, I've been forced to cancel the trip. I have been putting in a lot of miles on my mountain bike to get in shape for this trip.

Well a loose rock trail I was riding on this past Monday gave out from under me and sent me sliding down a ravine. Fell 20 feet and landed on a rock outcrop. Broke 2 ribs, partially collapsed my left lung, and had a slight concussion. Don't remember the fall or anything till I was in the ambulance. 

Did get it all on my GoPro. It's weird having 15 mins of video of me disorientated, but still conscious and talking that I have no recollection of.   

I'm off to a good recovery and returned back to work today, earlier than expected. Luckily WY allows tag $ refunds for medical issues. 

There's always next year!

Dang that sucks.  Heck post the video, better than another carp video.