OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lundau

fishing beads

Last fall I saw a guide doing real well on upper end of lake using beads , they were having a good time with lots of nice fish. I was wondering if someone can pass on how they are rigging up and how to fish this bait. I think I read that Lillys Landing  sells them and would like to give this a try. Any advice would be greatly appreciated .    Thanks

6 and 8 mm beads are pegged on your line 1 1/2 inches above a size 6 octopus hook and drifted under an indicator or polish nymph style while fly fishing.  They can be fished on a drift rig system while boat fishing with the water running.  I have found the yellow colored ones work the best for browns.  I also paint or highlight them with different fingernail polishes.  TroutBeads.com carries quite the selection if Phil does not have what you are looking for, although I gave him a pretty big assortment that I had left over from guiding with them in Alaska.

6 hours ago, duckydoty said:

6 and 8 mm beads are pegged on your line 1 1/2 inches above a size 6 octopus hook and drifted under an indicator or polish nymph style while fly fishing.  They can be fished on a drift rig system while boat fishing with the water running.  I have found the yellow colored ones work the best for browns.  I also paint or highlight them with different fingernail polishes.  TroutBeads.com carries quite the selection if Phil does not have what you are looking for, although I gave him a pretty big assortment that I had left over from guiding with them in Alaska.

They aren't actually on the hook? How do they get hooked then? Any pictures for reference by chance? 

1 hour ago, Travis Swift said:

They aren't actually on the hook? How do they get hooked then? Any pictures for reference by chance? 

When the fish takes the bead and you set the hook,  the hook sets on the outside of his mouth.  No chance of gut hooking which is great and why they use this system in Alaska where rainbows are mostly protected.

One of many youtube videos on the subject. Just do a google search on trout bead youtube.

I bought a supply of beads, hoohs, and the clear rubber "pegs" last Spring, but haven't tried them yet. Think when I'm there in October it might be a great time to give them a try.