Night Time Fly Fishing Trip Report - 10/1

CLoyd

• Members

I got out Friday and Saturday night under dam.  Lot's of people out there around outlet 1 because of the browns starting to move up.  I fished downstream.  The rainbows continue to grow.  I had several both nights in the 18"-20" range, plus a couple bigger.  I caught several small browns, 14" or less.  I also lost a big brown that was in the upper 20 inches Friday night when I was trying to net it.  It was foul hooked though so I'm trying not to get too upset about it.  Another big one swam right up to my legs Saturday night in the moonlight, so they're around.  I've upped the size of my streamers to a #6 Hibernator tied with rabbit zonkers instead of pine squirrel.

Good report Cloyd. I can only reminisce about night fishing some years back. I really miss not being physically able to get out there in the dark anymore. Not steady enough on my bad leg to venture around in the dark. Keep at it and you will get a nice brown that is fair, not foul hooked. I have heard numerous stories of people keeping foul hooked fish in the past. One story in particular was relayed second hand to a fly shop owner. The story teller was talking about the 17 lb brown that his friend had caught, and kept, the day prior. And then he adds, " it was foul hooked". The shop owner tells the friend that it was illegal to keep a foul hooked fish. The story teller replies, "even if it might be a state record? ".  My thinking on this story makes me wonder what the guy who caught the fish is going to tell when asked what did he catch it on. Is he going to say a number 12 fur bug right in the dorsel fin, or is he going to lie about it from that point on. So keep after it and you will catch that trophy the right way.  Good luck Cloyd.

A few years ago the outlets were so packed with fish I saw some of them in there that looked like they had confetti all up and down their backs. Guys were fouling them left and right.  Still dont get the whole stand there all day next to the outlets.  I do fish around them, but mainly when we're messing around, or if the younger kiddos are with me and we need a slumpbuster.

I haven't seen any big ones around the outlets for a few years now.  Used to see a few big ones every year that would cruise around by them, but lately not so much. 

Would catch some in the evenings that would venture out of the outlets and had one that I pulled 3 flies out of him... 

That is my record also- pulled 3 flies out of a ~16" Brown two Octobers ago downstream from an outlet 50 yards.  

Helped a guy net a nice one larger than that last October, had at least 3 in him I could see but didn't help him release so i am not sure if that was all or not.  He was right at the end of #2 and it ran downstream and tried to wrap around me.  I asked the guy if I could help, couldn't get out of the way.  Nice fish and his was right in the corner of the mouth.

All this Brown trout talk is getting to me- between DD's painting experiments and these excellent trip reports I can't concentrate at work.  I may have to break way this weekend and come take a run at it.......   

I am seeing more GoPro's this year than I remember in the past.  Haven't noticed anyone setting up on a tripod.

I am glad we have those outlets for folks that don't get around that well or novice anglers and kids, but it is perplexing why they load up from daylight to dusk there.  6 year old asked last time why everyone was so close together and were getting tangled up.  Hard to explain politely :)

I have a gopro but it stinks for night time lol. 

I will fully admit my first couple trips to taney I fished the outlets quite a bit.  I'll even still mess around by them sometimes.  Fished them and thought man I'm a trout catching stud.  I'm glad they are there too, and it's cool to see the fish there as well. 

I'm not gonna judge anyone fishing there, but with so much other great areas and stretches of water to fish I just don't get the appeal of standing there shoulder to shoulder all day. 

I get more worked up with the folks mishandling fish and the floaters I see going down steam from there...

dnj21 if you decide to come down maybe we'll cross paths.   Hoping to meet up with fishndoug at some point this weekend. 

1 minute ago, JestersHK said:

I have a gopro but it stinks for night time lol. 

I will fully admit my first couple trips to taney I fished the outlets quite a bit.  I'll even still mess around by them sometimes.  Fished them and thought man I'm a trout catching stud.  I'm glad they are there too, and it's cool to see the fish there as well. 

I'm not gonna judge anyone fishing there, but with so much other great areas and stretches of water to fish I just don't get the appeal of standing there shoulder to shoulder all day. 

I get more worked up with the folks mishandling fish and the floaters I see going down steam from there...

dnj21 if you decide to come down maybe we'll cross paths.   Hoping to meet up with fishndoug at some point this weekend. 

Don't miss the opportunity to talk with fishndoug. One of many great trout fishermen that I have the privilege of knowing.

46 minutes ago, fshndoug said:

hey jesters I called you the other night but you must have been busy.Thanks Laker we have indeed shared some good days on the stream it has been my pleasure.

Sorry I must have missed that.  I was in the process of switching my cell carriers this weekend, I wonder if that had something to do with it...  I'll give ya a call this evening once I get out of work.  As of right now I'll be getting down to Taney sometime Thursday evening.