Quick trip, report w pics

mhumke

• Members

Six hours of driving (down and back) for six hours of fishing, but was determined to get down at least once in October and all our weekends are booked.

Anyway started between the cable and outlet one around 8:15 am.  Fishing was pretty slow.  Although first fish came quick on a gray scud.  Fished a jig for about 30 minutes no luck.  Then a rapalla baby brown, picked up another rainbow and a bass on the rapalla.

About 30 minutes before they started running water fish started stacking up near outlet one.  Do they know when they are about to start running water?!?!  Kind of a joke but kind of a real question too 😀.  One fish even jumped out of the water on to land where there would soon be water.  Anyway for those 30 minutes it was on 8 or 9 more fish including a small brown 13-14 inches.  One real nice fat colored up rainbow that measured 19 inches.

Caught two more quickly when they started running water.  Thought fishing would get good but it really didn't.  Started to get crowded so I moved on fished for about another 30 minutes rapalla and jigs several chasers no takers.  

Estimating 8 on a gray scud 4 on a copper and black zebra midge and 2 on a rapalla.  Not great but not bad.

Around 12:15 called an audible and decided to run down to the Landing Roark Creek and see if I could get a quick limit to take home which I did in a little less than an hour on rainbow glitter power bait.  Hey it helped validate six hours of driving!

Seemed like a lot of people fishing for a Wednesday morning!  Does anyone work anymore 😀.  Good luck this fall keep those lines tight!

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0428.PNG

IMG_0429.PNG

IMG_0432.PNG

11 hours ago, mhumke said:

Do they know when they are about to start running water?!?!

I believe they do.  I think they hear some of the dams internal mechanisms starting up and they get fired up.  We used to say when fishing when the water is off.....  "If the fish start biting like crazy you better start watching the water level because it's likely to come up" 

pretty fish and a good report.  When I started fly fishing this summer I kind of feel in love with it, I bought some waders thinking maybe sometime I would wade below the dam if I didn't have my boat.  Well I'm on this taney fly fishing facebook group and I swear every time I see a picture of a fish there is a ton of people in the back ground all close to each other.  Not sure that looks like much fun to me so i'll probably stick to my boat fishing or use it to beach somewhere in the lower trophy area away from folks.  I just can't believe how packed it looks during the week of late. 

Harv and I fished yesterday from 10 to 6.  Fishing was slo and tuff. We couldn't catch more than one or two fish on the same fly. I agree with sio3 about the fish knowing what's about to happen. They check the generation schedule every night at 5pm. And as far as no one working anymore, I retired in 2012 so that I could fish week days with no crowd. That didn't happen. Where the h#ll do all of these people come from? They must have retired the day after I did.

6 hours ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I believe they do.  I think they hear some of the dams internal mechanisms starting up and they get fired up.  We used to say when fishing when the water is off.....  "If the fish start biting like crazy you better start watching the water level because it's likely to come up" 

one hundred percent agree with this statement