Old Maps

Pepe

• Members

Similar detailed topographic lake maps were produced by Structure Graphics Company in the seventies.  However, their maps displayed the lake area only.  The maps were very detailed, showing topographic elevation, trees, old roads, cemeteries, etc.  Separate maps were made for several sections of the lakes and each map had several pages displayed in large scale.   They have not been produced for many years and are quite valuable.  Here is an example for sale on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-Bull-Shoals-Lower-Lake-Missouri-Topo-Map-Structure-Graphics-Co/163173893688?hash=item25fdec0638:g:uW8AAOSwNSxUzYn2:rk:1:pf:0

4 hours ago, HarryJ said:

Similar detailed topographic lake maps were produced by Structure Graphics Company in the seventies.  However, their maps displayed the lake area only.  The maps were very detailed, showing topographic elevation, trees, old roads, cemeteries, etc.  Separate maps were made for several sections of the lakes and each map had several pages displayed in large scale.   They have not been produced for many years and are quite valuable.  Here is an example for sale on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-Bull-Shoals-Lower-Lake-Missouri-Topo-Map-Structure-Graphics-Co/163173893688?hash=item25fdec0638:g:uW8AAOSwNSxUzYn2:rk:1:pf:0

I've been looking for this for the Lower end (darn area) of TR - if anyone has one and is interested in selling, please send me a PM.

Bobby

Good Lord, I had at least 50 or 60 of those things for everywhere from Smithville to Millwood to Dale Hollow to Milford and back to Grand!

I need to do some scrounging and see if I still have them.

I guess it's now "official" that I'm old - things from my teens and twenties are now collectors items!

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."  George Carlin

"The only money ever wasted is money never spent."  Me.

Excellent. I have a copy of those from the COE as well. A majority of the map I took photos of and have them in the phone for future reference.  The maps are copyright 1977 and rather frail so I am doing my best to preserve them. I am highly considering going to a professional printer and having some waterproof copies made when I have the extra money available. They show all of the timber where it use to be before everything was cut down. 

I love the old Structure Graphics maps. From a historical aspect they are just fascinating to me. I have a handful of Table Rock, Bull Shoals, and Stockton. I wish I had Grand badly. I don’t know that I ever seen one for Grand in person. 

On 10/12/2018 at 9:55 AM, Pepe said:

A couple years ago, while doing some contract work for COE, I learned that a complete topographical survey was commissioned by the War Department to include all areas under consideration for flooding related to proposed Table Rock lake.  I posted advertisements seeking a copy of the maps and was successful in finding and purchasing one in good shape from a gentleman who had kept it from his grandfathers estate effects. 

I made full copies and a single copy is about 2” thick on standard half-sized blueprint paper.  I have experimented with colored pencils to better illustrate current normal (935’) pool levels and deeper water.  I only did this on a few pages and was considering hanging on the wall at our cabin.  I came across the maps while cleaning up a spare bedroom that had become our “junk room”.  This map is of interest to me because our cabin is at the junction of the White & Kings River. 

I welcome thoughts and ideas for these documents. 

1322AE7D-8156-49A2-ABA1-4CAAFDD27BDE.jpeg

Brown  is land.  Where there is dark brown the topography is steep, as in bluffs. Light blue is, arbitrarily, “normal fishable” depth, dark blue “deep fishable” and non-colored white is very deep. 

91A1EE6D-FBFD-499E-93EA-9996265D7469.jpeg

These are awesome looking! Your coloring them and choice of colors made them look even better imo. 

I’ve thought about 3d printing sections of the lake for fun but haven’t had the motivation to do the cad work. A few years ago I bought a cnc router from a guy that was going to use it for millinglake contours into wood for decoration. Sounds awesome but again I haven’t been motivated to try. 

22 hours ago, arsenal1477 said:

Excellent. I have a copy of those from the COE as well. A majority of the map I took photos of and have them in the phone for future reference.  The maps are copyright 1977 and rather frail so I am doing my best to preserve them. I am highly considering going to a professional printer and having some waterproof copies made when I have the extra money available. They show all of the timber where it use to be before everything was cut down. 

"The maps are copyright 1977 and rather frail"....

Seein's how I'm copyright 1953 I guess that explains a lot.

Thanks for clearing that up......

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."  George Carlin

19 hours ago, 5bites said:

I love the old Structure Graphics maps. From a historical aspect they are just fascinating to me. I have a handful of Table Rock, Bull Shoals, and Stockton. I wish I had Grand badly. I don’t know that I ever seen one for Grand in person. 

I haven't made it down to "the dungeon" yet to take a look but when I do I'll let you know if I still have the set from Grand - if so, they're yours.

Lord knows I'll never go out on that God forsaken inland ocean again in my lifetime!

I'll be dead soon enough as it is. 

I'm afraid that once I became "sophisticated" with all sorts of GPS paraphernalia and "savvy" in online searches I probably figured that I no longer had any need for such antiquated cave wall writings.

I know I tossed a lot of old, lesser quality maps and other assorted local information and pamphlets from back in the day.

And to think I still blame my dad for throwing out my million dollar baseball card collection.......

9 hours ago, vernon said:

I haven't made it down to "the dungeon" yet to take a look but when I do I'll let you know if I still have the set from Grand - if so, they're yours.

Lord knows I'll never go out on that God forsaken inland ocean again in my lifetime!

I'll be dead soon enough as it is. 

I'm afraid that once I became "sophisticated" with all sorts of GPS paraphernalia and "savvy" in online searches I probably figured that I no longer had any need for such antiquated cave wall writings.

I know I tossed a lot of old, lesser quality maps and other assorted local information and pamphlets from back in the day.

And to think I still blame my dad for throwing out my million dollar baseball card collection.......

Lol well if you don’t want them I’ll sure take them! I love maps. Lakemaster is awesome but there’s something about paper that I enjoy too