Anybody made it out yet since the semi-cold arrived?

JestersHK

45 minutes ago, nomolites said:

They are hyper aware of change/movement to be sure...I have drawn on a few and they almost always get unnerved before I can release. Have some trail cam bobcat pics this year and maybe it will come sneaking by and I’ll observe his reaction....I called in a lion some years ago while turkey hunting and KNOW how they react.....😬.  He went one way, I went the other....

Mike

My buddy's son has a bobcat from his cellphone video from last seasons deer opener.  Was super cool to see.  The yotes on my buddies land are super skittish.  Don't think I'd get close enough for a bow.  Every once in a while someone will pop one during firearms season. 

I agree that not sure I could get my window open and pop the screen off with them sticking around unless I baited them... I could see my wifes face now asking why theres a new hole in the screen LOL.

Three year's ago I caught sight of a bobcat crossing over a dirt road. It came down my side and was walking by my stand. I drew on it and it went behind a small bush about 15 yards from me and I never saw it again😢

In a small property that I bowhunted near my house, I have had gray fox running around my stand. Giving me plenty of broadside shots from 10 to 25 yards. Even saw one climb at least 8 feet up a hickory tree looking at a squirrel nest then back down to yhe ground. All of this before the 15th of November. Must have known the season hadn't started.

• Members

Went out Sunday started calm but the wind probably blew out 180 degrees by 9:30. Decided to stay out until noon enjoying the weather before calling it quits. Not a complete loss of a day....as I was walking out via the gravel road I jumped 20+ quail out of the ditch. My heart was in my throat before they flew out shotgun range. Made a mental note, will likely be back November 1. 

Going a little more mobile this coming Saturday to scout around in prep for an all day sit this Sunday. Trying to convince myself to bring out the struggle stick over my compound...but will likely wait until I have a doe in the freezer and get out of my current "meat-crisis". 

IMG_20181021_094556.jpg

IMG_20181021_094606.jpg

IMG_20181021_094632.jpg

IMG_20181021_094716.jpg

IMG_20181021_103100.jpg

IMG_20181021_103125.jpg

IMG_20181021_103115.jpg

2 hours ago, JestersHK said:

Make sure you get some orange on walking in and out!

Are you taking out your daughter? Livie wants to spend time with her friends this weekend :huh:.

• Members

Same area....new spot and last night got interesting. Made it to the tree at 2:30 and was up and settled a little before 3pm.....crickets until 5:15, 1 doe turned into 5, about 150 yds out in a combined bean field. 5:45, two does are b-lining right for my tree.....meat in the freezer. As I grab my bow I hear grunting like skipping record. Look up and I have my first crack at a legal buck (lincoln county- 4 point restriction). He is tiny.... no width...but he's got 4 points and he's coming in range. As he closes 40 yds I run through the mental check, position my feet lean out and wait for him to close 30. He stops just inside of 40 and turns around to thrash a scrubby oak sapling. I'm confident in the range and this is where it all goes down hill....I draw back, I breath settle my 40yds pin, pull through the shot, as I hear the safety sear click over in my release i pull through the back wall and watch through my sight housing as my arrow sales over his back. He's oblivious to me but is now on alert he darts 5 yds and slowly circles at 50. until he walks to 70 and back into a draw away from the beans. My opportunity is gone. I re-range the oak sapling.....34yds. I'm  shooting 285 fps with a heavy arrow at 64lbs so my pin gap between 30 and 40 yds make way more of difference over my 20 and 30 yds pins. 

I have once again learned the painful lesson of needing to wait...

I did have one consolation prize.....i found 2 more coveys of quail in a seperate section from the one i located on Sunday. Anyone know what kind of range they keep how far will they move from one area to another?

6 minutes ago, Kayak_Runner said:

I did have one consolation prize.....i found 2 more coveys of quail in a seperate section from the one i located on Sunday. Anyone know what kind of range they keep how far will they move from one area to another?

We've chased covey's on our farm for years in the same 45-50 acre lots.  In short they would stay in the same area year after year. 

We used to have hundreds of birds but now we are down to a couple covey's so I quit shooting them.  My father in-law (lifelong farmer on the property) said they had a lot more birds when the locals used to chase coyotes with dogs and horses.  He said when the neighbors complained and they stopped doing it the bird population plummeted.  I miss those great hunts back then. 

Bummer on the miss Kayak_Runner... Hope you get another shot at them again.  They sure have been moving later in the evenings vs the early mornings... 

Only thing I've been seeing in the mornings are turkeys.