OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bill Babler

Lost Thermocline and High Blue Did Me In.

Boys at the Dam said the thermocline went out either late Saturday or early Sunday and you could see it from the derby weights on Saturday vs Sunday.  Been off the lake a few days but got back in the saddle at first light this morning at 6:45.   First hour was good.  From the start till 7:30 I caught 4 fish on a Whopper Pooper and they were all good.   Best was a 4 pounder and they just hammered it.  It got really still and bright at about 8 AM and the fishing went to zero.  Just nothing out to about 40 ft.  Probably about 11 pounds for the four of them.  Next fish came at 9:45 on a drop shot in just about 47ft. on the bottom and that was it for the morning. Fished Cow to Mill Creek on the White.

The group of fish on the graph is the only fish I saw all day, clear out to 70'.

IMG_2174.jpg

Stopped for lunch and it clouded up and the wind started so I thought this is probably good.  Back on the water at 1 PM and fished till 5 and had one more, a long lean brown  fish out of 57' of water in front of a dock on the cable.  I saw him sitting on it as I was throwing docks with a flutter spoon and dropped the shad shape worm to him and that was it for the day.

IMG_2171.jpg

Launched at Old 86 after lunch and fished to Indian Pt.  9 hrs. 6 fish all keeps. 

Small guide/client tournament out of Big Cedar yesterday and they were allowed to use Night Crawlers and 3 fish won it.  

Pete said all the bottom jig fish are gone and I can attest to that as I dragged that durn thing around from BiG Cedar to KC.  He is chasing suspended fish under shad up the James and said its a risky deal, but he had a good day yesterday.  Not so much today.

Chris Tetrick fished Shell Knob today and had 29 bass with about a dozen keeps and he said they were good ones.  All with clients on live bait fish were at 45' suspended over eternity.  Said he fished a bunch of locations and would catch 3 or 4 on a spot if he was lucky.   Said he never even saw a fish near the bottom and I can attest to that.

Good Luck

I'm heading down to fish Saturday and Sunday. What do you think it will be like by then?

One thing occurred to me after I posted that last post I haven't fished table rock much but it sure seems like everybody is hoping for that next change in bite. All summer drop shot has been really good everyone was hoping for colder temperatures to change the bite. here we are and now and the bite is terrible. now everyone is hoping for even colder temperatures and I feel like they will want to go back to a drop shot.

Got a news flash late last night and I'm sure it is very reliable.  The last place I usually look is shallow, but it seems the LM and the Jaws went really shallow, 10' and under, and the K's went Super Nova to 70' on the larger schools.  Also locked tight to the bottom and almost invisible.  Will feed throughout the day and night but are thinking about moving to the deep creeks.

Water warmed to 70 degree, plus or minus yesterday afternoon and there was some wind.  Rumor has it that there is a small jig, ned and shaky head bite up close.  On the jig 5/16 or 3/8 with a small craw like the Yamamoto fat baby or any smaller craw as long is there is some gold or orange on it.  Same with the shaky and the ned.

I threw a blade in the surf yesterday up close and also a RK Crawler but I didn't get bit.  Guys are telling me the jig and soft plastic bite is working but the presentation needs to be super slow so that is no doubt where I screwed up.

Bill Beck told me they are always biting on Table Rock you just need the who, what, why, when and where.

Good Luck and get ready for the bombardment this weekend.  Probably not a good time to fish if your not in one of the big derby's.

The updates are much appreciated.  I knew there was a reason I ordered those GP/orange-flake speed craws on a whim.  Looks like I'll need to pack those, as well as the kitchen sink.

And I think bombardment might be an understatement.  By my count, water patrol lists 483 tourney boats on Saturday, 400 on Sunday.  :blink: Am I actually looking forward to a Monday??

I switched my jig trailers the other day to a paca slim.  I cut it down some and also figured out pretty quick that green pumpkin with either blue, orange or chartreuse claw tips was all that got bit.  I also downsized from 3/4oz to 3/8-1/2 oz on the actual jig.  Hope that helps some too.

Heading down tomorrow morning to spend a week so I blame myself for the thousand tournament boats and crappy fishing.  We missed our September trip for the first time in probably 25 years due to a sick pup but that week pretty much always sucked for fishing anyway.  Was hoping for better next week but I'm grateful and glad to get at least one trip in before the snowballs start flying.

Besides, I can now with a clear conscience tie on a spinnerbait and shamelessly pound the windy banks all week without the distraction of constantly thinking I should be out fishing deep stuff!

Worst case scenario the golf courses oughta be in fantastic shape and it's a lot easier to keep beer cold this time of the year so there's that.........