OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BilletHead

The Praying Mantis

Walking around the yard today I came upon this rather large praying mantis and decided to get her portrait. She was fat laden with eggs. I felt sorry for her mate that she consumed after he got lucky. 

thumbnail_1021181114b.jpgthumbnail_1021181114c.jpg After a bit of coaxing i got Mrs. BilletHead to model the mantis,

thumbnail_1021181116a.jpg    

BilletHead

So the guy preying mantis was at the bar having a few.  Bartender asked if he wanted another.  Guy preying mantis says sure why not, my wife's gonna eat my head off when I get home regardless.

50 minutes ago, Flysmallie said:

I hate those things. Usually see some around the house but haven’t seen any this year. 

C3280034-51D1-4FCF-8BCC-22E21DDBC69A.jpeg

What an innocent looking killing machine

10 hours ago, jdmidwest said:

They make nice pets.

The farm where we get our Christmas trees must be full of them. Seems like at least every other year or two we will have one or more egg masses in the tree when we get it home. If you have learned anything about our family and my youngest that means that we will put the egg mass(es) in a jar and cover it with cheesecloth. It will stay in the house for a while until it gets warm outside. Then it will go outside placed so that it is out of the rain. More often than not come late spring there will be tens of little preying mantis ready to be released. Last year they got released into the tomato plants on the deck. 

18 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

I had one on my desk the other day, and when I picked him/her up to throw it outside it jerked around and made a squeaking noise.   Kinda freaked me out, so the release wasn't near as gentle as I had originally intended. 😆

I was attacked by one while pumping gas several years ago. It wasn't one of my finer moments.