BilletHead's first turkey with the bow

BilletHead

It was a pretty good one to boot!

It was going to be a quick hunt this morning. Grand children here for a visit. Mrs. BilletHead was making a big breakfast. So I go out. It's youth firearms season so the blaze orange was worn. Great morning light wind out of the West. Pretty good wind for my chosen stand. I see three slick head deer with a forky horn dogging them. Bucks are beginning to get frisky. He abandons the chase fading one way and the does the opposite direction. Wood ducks and white front geese flying. Another Fork horn shows up and eats acorns beneath me. 300 yards to the South out of the big timber shows four turkeys. into the field they come and I get a text from Mrs. BilletHead. "I am starting breakfast." . They work sort of my way to within 100 yards but begin to turn East into a slot of open ground between the timber and a cedar thicket. Crud I thought. The four birds, all adult long beards were out of my sight for ten minutes and then appearing at my side of the cedar thicket 50 yards away. Picking at weed and grass seeds they messed around. Another text, "Hey biscuits are done and frying bacon" I was afraid to move. Shot a text back "I am in turkeys see you soon". Closer they came I popped off the safety. One stepped over the 30 yard marker while the one behind it finally seen the blob of orange in the tree. It started the put, put, put alarm call standing erect. By this time I had the bow up and turkey in my sights I pulled the trigger. Contact the bird took off half flying half running feathers flying all the way to the pile up a mere eight yards from thick timber. After forty years this is my first archery turkey. A couple of shots and near misses in the past.

thumbnail_1028180908 - Copy.jpgthumbnail_1028180923c - Copy.jpg  I text home "hey guess what I got me a turkey" Text back "well breakfast is ready bring dinner home".

thumbnail_1028181001_HDR - Copy.jpg  18 lbs.3oz. 9.5 inch bushy beard,thumbnail_1028181001c_HDR - Copy.jpg     Breakfast eaten and good by to grandkids the bird was cleaned.

.This afternoon A half breast was sliced and coated with a spicy batter. Fried up it was and I grabbed and  plated me a few pieces. Some chunky blue cheese dressing plus some franks red hot sauce. Salad from the garden. A great meal to eat while watching the football game,

thumbnail_1028181414a.jpg  

The BilletHead had a good day.

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

4 hours ago, Gavin said:

Congrats! Tough to drill one with a bow!

You ain't a woofin'.  

I stuck one low once and watched it fly off with my arrow.  One of those bad bowhunting experiences that I wish I could forget about.   After 4 failed attempts to get drawn on closer birds I decided to take a 40 yard shot that was actually 46.   Bad call.  

BH is just one of those guys..... I've known a handful of them.  True Hunters that make it seem easy.  It ain't.

5 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

You ain't a woofin'.  

I stuck one low once and watched it fly off with my arrow.  One of those bad bowhunting experiences that I wish I could forget about.   After 4 failed attempts to get drawn on closer birds I decided to take a 40 yard shot that was actually 46.   Bad call.  

BH is just one of those guys..... I've known a handful of them.  True Hunters that make it seem easy.  It ain't.

For hours spent and more wear and tear on my body I would be ahead buying my protein. BUT I would not be in the outdoors enjoying what we have been blessed with or eating better heathier meat . 

BilletHead

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

BilletHead

Marty gave me a popper several years ago. After inspecting the absolutely beautiful and perfectly made popper, I figured that Marty is the rare kind of guy that can do anything thing he wants. Great Job Sir!

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

Thanks everyone,

Don't have but just family to share my luck with anymore and I really appreciate getting to share my luck with you all. I suppose you guys are my extended family actually,

BilletHead 

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead