OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
merc1997

communicating with the mdc

37 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I was going to say same thing

Weight in the mouth, alligator clip on the backside hanging off the gill. No different than a tournament format now plenty of ways to cheat. Actually no different than any form of sport or competition today. Add in ego's and money and people will find a way to cheat.

1 minute ago, mojorig said:

On the Arkansas side of TR, we (AGFC) have stocked the following since 1983:

Channel Catfish (Catchable and Yearlings): 157,776 fish (Years stocked: 1988, 91, 99, 2000, 02 - 15)

Black Crappie finglerings: 48,500 fish (Year stocked: 2003)

Walleye finglerings: 849,264 fish (Years stocked: 2003 - 16)

The fish Arkansas removes from TR for the Walleye. They are returned correct? I remember at one time seeing a stocking truck dumping a pretty large amount of healthy brood stock walleye at Eagle Rock one time but cannot for the life of me remember if it was Arkansas or Missouri. 

Something else to consider..... what as fishermen are we doing for TR as far as habitat?  I for one bought an old beat up pontoon, stripped it down to a couple seats and a steering wheel, put a new 50 HP Merc on it and we put out brush piles. Special thanks to MagicWormMan for his help in the past. To date, 243 and counting. Not always easy, not always fun, NOT very expensive, a bit gratifying to know you are working to give back as a fisherman.

Does this mean you all should run out and buy a pontoon? No, but in years past, the conservation would loan out their brush boats to fisherman. When they pull the lake this winter........... find a cove or two and pull some float-ins to the waters edge and tie them down. VERY easy to do and gives the fry a place to grow a bit. Some years 12-15 feet deep and you can do a bunch in a day..... Maybe we can rely on ourselves to do the work MDC doesn't or won't. Just another option to consider.

33 minutes ago, Devan S. said:

The fish Arkansas removes from TR for the Walleye. They are returned correct? I remember at one time seeing a stocking truck dumping a pretty large amount of healthy brood stock walleye at Eagle Rock one time but cannot for the life of me remember if it was Arkansas or Missouri. 

I can answer that question since I was involved in developing that particular brood stock gathering project. When we decided to utilize the walleye spawning run out of Table Rock into the Arkansas sections of the Kings River and the White River below Beaver Dam, we (the Hatchery Manager at the Centerton Hatchery and myself) agreed to return the brood stock to the areas where they were collected whenever possible to avoid any negative reactions to the project. Most years over 90 percent of the fish were returned to either the Kings River or the White River below the dam.  Some of the brood stock succumbed to the stress of transportation and handling during the process but most made it back to the river they were captured from. Many of the fish were spawned on site and released immediately back into the river.  

26 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I don't understand what you are saying???

I'm saying that outside of the fact that his hand is on the scale itself, one could put a large spoonbill sinker in the fishes mouth to increase the weight and you would never tell in that picture. You could do the same thing with an alligator clip with weight on the back side of the fish hanging off the gill plate. 

3 minutes ago, Notropis said:

I can answer that question since I was involved in developing that particular brood stock gathering project. When we decided to utilize the walleye spawning run out of Table Rock into the Arkansas sections of the Kings River and the White River below Beaver Dam, we (the Hatchery Manager at the Centerton Hatchery and myself) agreed to return the brood stock to the areas where they were collected whenever possible to avoid any negative reactions to the project. Most years over 90 percent of the fish were returned to either the Kings River or the White river below the dam.  Some of the brood stock succumbed to the stress of transportation and handling during the process but most made it back to the river they were captured from. Many of the fish were spawned on site and released immediately back into the river.  

Good I thought that was the case. It may have been MDC I witnessed returning fish at Eagle Rock. All the fish I saw returned appeared to be in very good condition.  

8 minutes ago, Notropis said:

I can answer that question since I was involved in developing that particular brood stock gathering project. When we decided to utilize the walleye spawning run out of Table Rock into the Arkansas sections of the Kings River and the White River below Beaver Dam, we (the Hatchery Manager at the Centerton Hatchery and myself) agreed to return the brood stock to the areas where they were collected whenever possible to avoid any negative reactions to the project. Most years over 90 percent of the fish were returned to either the Kings River or the White River below the dam.  Some of the brood stock succumbed to the stress of transportation and handling during the process but most made it back to the river they were captured from. Many of the fish were spawned on site and released immediately back into the river.  

Do any of these walleye naturally reproduce in any of our lakes ? 

13 minutes ago, Devan S. said:

I'm saying that outside of the fact that his hand is on the scale itself, one could put a large spoonbill sinker in the fishes mouth to increase the weight and you would never tell in that picture. You could do the same thing with an alligator clip with weight on the back side of the fish hanging off the gill plate. 

10-4. 

9 minutes ago, Lvn2Fish said:

Do any of these walleye naturally reproduce in any of our lakes ? 

Absolutely, these fish are native to the Ozark rivers and were here before the lakes were impounded.  As long as conditions are adequate in the river tributaries of the lake, the walleye can make their spawning run and spawn successfully. There is some evidence that they can spawn on shoreline rip rap in the lake with some success. After stocking them for several years in Beaver Lake to re-establish the population, we were able to document a natural spawn by utilizing a chemical marker on the stocked fingerlings, then comparing the percentage of walleye from that year class that exhibited the chemical.  One year over 50 percent were wild spawned fish. 

2 hours ago, Lvn2Fish said:

You can’t have an accurate measurement when your hand is hanging onto the scale . Not saying any pressure is being applied but I wouldn’t accept this entry .

Quit using weight and start using measurement. If it happens when somebody is taking a picture out in the boat it's also happening at the weigh-ins back at the ramp. I've seen fish with worm weights in their bellies. 

Some people are going to cheat. No matter what you do. 

Not sure if it's relevant or not, but the only ones I ever hear openly complain or worry about being "cheated" are the guys that seldom if ever bring in a solid limit.   

I've been in lots of tournaments where the top 5 places was determined by a few ounces, and never once was there any actual concern about anyone cheating.  

Years ago several of us fished a little 4 hour derby every Tuesday evening out of a local resort.  Most of us that fished it were either guides or tackle shop and resort owners and there were no official RULES ever written out.  One of the guys (a guide from Tan Tara) whose regular partner couldn't fish that night took his little sister out with him, and after the weigh-in she was running her mouth and mentioned how freaked out she was because he kept asking her to hand him crawdads.    Wait.....CRAWDADS !!!???    Well, there were no "written rules", but lets face it....we all knew the RULES, right?   Whatever!

That's the only experience I've ever had with someone cheating, and TECHNICALLY he wasn't.