Alabama/LSU

Quillback

On 11/17/2018 at 2:10 PM, Phil Lilley said:

OK... I'm trying to figure out why @Flysmallie reported this topic. :)

Yeah well he's trying to figure out how he reported a topic. Seems like it's more than just a simple fat finger too. I really don't know. 

I can understand the frustration with Alabama. And it's not all on them, but teams like them are the reason I don't care for college football or really any college sports. Even high school sports are far more entertaining than anything the NCAA produces. 

I guess the main problem with college football (and basketball to a somewhat lesser extent) is that the best kids want to play for the best teams, so once a team gets a national championship or two and gets a reputation of being a contender every year, it gets real easy to recruit top talent.  Is Saban the best coach in college football?  Who knows, because he always has the top or at least very close to the top talent.  Which old coach was it that said that Jimmys and Joes always beat Xs and Os?  How many times are we going to have to watch the national championship game include Bama and Clemson, anyway?  And the other two that look like they'll be in the hunt are Michigan and Notre Dame, two more bluebloods that I basically get tired of seeing, even though both have been somewhat down in recent years.  At least we hopefully won't be subjected to Ohio State again.

But for all that, it's still way more interesting than the NFL.  I will continue to torture myself as a Mizzou fan...this year is a perfect example of what it's like.  Recruiting rankings within the SEC always near the bottom, but somehow they end up with some kids that are better than their star rating and who play as hard as they possibly can (if not always as smart as they can) and turn out to be pretty good...and then bad luck and stupid stuff happens and the season never turns out as good as it looked like it could have been.  They should be a 10-2 team this year and could have conceivably beaten Georgia and been 11-1, playing for the SEC championship.  But horrible ref calls, a monsoon, a quarterback who was a head case for a while, injuries to a couple of key players, stupid penalties at terrible times, weird play calls at terrible times, and a secondary that's just now beginning to figure things out, and they lost two games they should have won easily.

But at least it's not Tennessee, who always has excellent recruiting classes and it looks like they're going to become a real power again, and then they tank.

I don’t find it interesting at all. At least in the NFL the players are playing against other great players. In the NCAA we crown national champions that play teams that could be beat by some of our local high school teams. But obviously some people love it and that’s good for the sport. 

I'd like to see some sort of leveling mechanism in the NCAA, certainly for football.  In the NFL teams have to operate under a salary cap and the worst teams get the first picks in the draft.  Don't know how you could apply that to college football and I doubt it will ever happen, but it sure would make it more interesting to see some level of parity so that going into a season, you might have a half dozen teams that had a good shot at winning the SEC (as an example).  

Looking forward to the Hawgs and Kittys game, I just hope he Hawgs show up for it.  Man do they stink this year.

National Championship?  I really don't care, no interest in any of those teams that are in the top 4.