What to expect? cape fair to pt 12

nhornback

Not too much to report but for what it's worth -

Put in about 7 to calmer than expected conditions and ran down river. Decided to focus on a small area since we hadn't been on the water in months.

Started on main lake points on the east side of the pictured map.  Fished both points and inside the cove with jerkbait, spinnerbait, wart and a shaky head with  one dink to show for it on a wart.  Left to shoot across to the SE facing point of Wooley creek but it had a boat on it so we fished a couple wind blown swings inside the creek with no luck. Water temp was cooler as we moved into the creek (50.9down to 50 even in the back 3rd) so we worked back to the mouth of wooley.  Caught a few a piece with only one picture worthy LM that went 3.7.  Caught them just inside the point in about 8ft.  Hit the next similar facing point to the north with one more dink and called it a day by 1130. 

Felt like it should have been better but there's some piece of the puzzle we missed on.

NH

6182.jpeg

Screenshot_2018-11-23-14-53-32.png

View full article

I fished that area last weekend - but I went Cape Fair up to point 15. I took my wife and was only out for 3 hours and caught about 15 fish with only a couple keepers that were right at 15 inches. 

So to answer your question - the water temp was 54 to 55 degrees, and I threw a McStick the whole time and caught the majority of the fish on bluff ends and  bigger rock slides on the bluffs. I didn't go into any creeks, but I saw a few people fishing them, not sure how they did. I don' know how to fish deep so I don' even try, but the guy that I talked to when we were leaving said he was fishing deep for over 6 hours and didn' even get a bite the whole day - but that doesn' mean you won't have good luck doing it. 

Good luck, and I hope I you post your report when your finished fishing. 

• Members

I fished from the Marina to Wooley last Saturday.  I’m not great at fishing deep either, but I was trying to learn. I tried mainly areas on bluffs that had steep drop offs. In my opinion, the bite was very soft and weird.  Had several that picked it up and swam toward the boat and I couldn’t catch up with them.  Fished mainly a jig sitting in 30-50 ft.  I did not try any coves or shallow areas.  Good luck.

thanks noodle. the way the forecast looks i doubt I'll be dragging anything to 30ft. With you guys' info im sure I'll start at bluff ends and main lake points throwing jerk, wiggle wart, crawler, squarebill, spinnerbait... but will go check out some in the creeks etc.

Will post a full report when i get off the water

Not too much to report but for what it's worth -

Put in about 7 to calmer than expected conditions and ran down river. Decided to focus on a small area since we hadn't been on the water in months.

Started on main lake points on the east side of the pictured map.  Fished both points and inside the cove with jerkbait, spinnerbait, wart and a shaky head with  one dink to show for it on a wart.  Left to shoot across to the SE facing point of Wooley creek but it had a boat on it so we fished a couple wind blown swings inside the creek with no luck. Water temp was cooler as we moved into the creek (50.9down to 50 even in the back 3rd) so we worked back to the mouth of wooley.  Caught a few a piece with only one picture worthy LM that went 3.7.  Caught them just inside the point in about 8ft.  Hit the next similar facing point to the north with one more dink and called it a day by 1130. 

Felt like it should have been better but there's some piece of the puzzle we missed on.

NH

6182.jpeg

Screenshot_2018-11-23-14-53-32.png

This post has been promoted to an article

Hey nhornback, just an observation ... your post has had 558 views at this moment ... that's how many people you mapped your fishing spot for. Very nice of you to share full info and my hat is off to you for your generosity ... but you may want to play your cards a little closer to the vest. Lots of vultures on this site and others like it who never bother to even join, much less post a report. They just want whatever tidbits they can take and run with. 

ClassActionTransparent.png

Champ,

As someone who doesn't tournament fish, I don't worry as much about giving away my 'spots.'  Surely anyone who comes to this site for info knows fishing wind blown main lake points is a good starting point.  I get the vultures that don't contribute could be frustrating to you guys who tourney fish, but if those vultures are following my lead they're of no threat to win! ☺

The thing i hoped for after posting a detailed outing is getting detailed responses from someone else who had more luck.  We struggled yesterday and we frankly don't know what else to do for more success.  

• Members

Wish I could give you some tips for more success in that area.  I have struggled to find a pattern this fall.  Made it out for a while today and just had a couple.  I tried mainly shallow this trip and that was a bad plan.  

I wouldn’t worry too much about marking those spots on the map.  I fish that stretch quite a bit and those areas aren’t a big secret.  They get hit pretty hard.

Good luck in the future.