Avery blind

So after our experience at 4rivers...I've decided to get a blind.  My buddy has one for his 18 foot boat that he was no longer using...I bought it.

Problem is...it's too wide and too long...I think I can make it work.

anybody ever tried to cut one down?

Any tips?

This probably won't be of much help but I thought I'd share this...

I extended and updated an Avery Quick-set blind last year. While doing some research I found that the support bracket latches on my older blind had been improved

on newer models. The new models had a sliding clasp that was obviously easier than the old pins that inserted in the holes in the arms so I ordered new arms. In

regards to the extending...my neighbor found 10 ft lengths of the square aluminum tubing at a local metal supply and I used those. Basically, I reused the factory corner

tubing and replaced the side tubes with longer lengths and then gave them a coat or two of RustO'leum  camo paint. The new latches made it easier to raise and secure

the blind when alone and by extending a couple of feet I gained additional room inside. By the way, I had plenty of fabric to allow the extension which is something that

needs to be checked first. I found everything except the tubing available through Avery including new camo netting. Based on my project, I can't think of any reason why

cutting one down would not be possible. I wouldn't cut the corner tubes down unless absolutely necessary however. If the fabric overlaps on the ends seem too excessive

a canvas shop should be able to cut and re-hem those.  

Good luck and good hunting,

OD  

Old Dog-  Good info, thanks for sharing!  Do you remember how old your blind is?  I have one on a 17x54 Grizzly and those pins are a MAJOR annoyance.  I need to replace my camo netting or paint it, might be a good off season project to do some of this.  I like mine, just a paint in the backside to set up and take down by myself.

dnj21, I'm not sure of it's age. I bought a used 2008 War Eagle 754 LDV, 50 HP Merc, and trailer with the Avery blind included in the package. I assumed, but never asked,

that the blind was about the same age. It came with the wind blockers and the camo netting but the netting was in rough shape so I decided to replace it. When the previous

owner had attached the blind to the boat, he bolted the brackets to the rear pods and front deck making it narrower and shorter than I liked so that's why I did the modification.

I purchased 4, T-rail blind mounting brackets and bolted the new blind brackets to them. This created two immediate benefits. Much improved inside head clearance

and the blockers and netting were no longer sitting in the water when the blind was in the up position.

I originally wanted to purchase just the sliding clasp from Avery since I thought it would fit my existing lift brackets but that wasn't possible. That's why I ended up with 4 new

lift brackets as I'm in full agreement with you regarding how cumbersome the old ones were. The new ones turned out to be of a little thicker tubing (sidewall, OD was the same) 

and were a little pricey but slipping the clasp down over the tube end is so much easier with one hand than inserting a pin that I felt I got my money's worth! With the wind

blockers, camo netting, and Raffia grass attached to the netting it's a little heavy to hold while trying to insert a pin. It's still not super easy but it's much better! 

I seem to recall the CSR at Avery saying the clasp style brackets had been in use about 4-5 years.

I did a little research today and found that yours and my blind must be the 17'-19' model. The only other model offered is for 14'-16' boats. That info tells me that your proposed

shortening could be as simple as moving the frame in closer and drilling new bolt holes. Let me know how it goes but I think you will be fine.     

BTW, my 754 LDV is a tiller model, 17' 7" long with a 54" bottom width and a 72" beam so it's probably very similar to your Grizzly.

Sorry for my long winded response...

Hope some of this helps,

OD              

Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed reply.  I took the fabric off of it...and did some rough measuring.  Its definitely going to work.

By my best guess the back needs it needs about 2 foot off the width...and about 1 foot off the front.

My original idea was to cut same amount (12 inches) off both ends of the male piece...but not sure why I would need to...would be easier to just cut one side...and only have to redrill once...that sounds right doesn't it?

Same thing on length...planning to cut all 4 pieces same amount and same spot...redrill...and attach.

I need new feet to attach to benches...the one I bought has the feet to slide into the rail on the war eagle...so plan to buy from avery...unless anyone has an idea how to make them...I attached a picture.

Avery customer service has been awesome...I spoke to them prior to buying...they assured me about being able to modify...and sent directions...as it turns out...mine is the older style frame...but no biggie...they had those as well

output (3).jpg

On 12/9/2018 at 8:00 AM, Old dog 417 said:

Good job!

And, good hunting.

Keep us posted as to how the hunt out of it went.

OD

With pictures- always with pictures :)