Jump to content
OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Mitch f

Tackle HD Hellgrammite

Recommended Posts

Was there a strategy in mind for the release date?    I'd expect that Helgie to be at it's prime come late May-July.   Is it a prime Winter choice?

If a floating lizard ever gets developed it needs to hit the market as close to mid-April as possible. 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

Was there a strategy in mind for the release date?    I'd expect that Helgie to be at it's prime come late May-July.   Is it a prime Winter choice?

If a floating lizard ever gets developed it needs to hit the market as close to mid-April as possible. 😎

I haven’t found a month of the year that fish won’t eat it but after several years of mold design, a finally finished mass production mold in our hands so we went full bore.  On December 12 a year ago I netted a 5 lb 4 oz Smallie on our Shakey Head with a black/purple flake. My buddy caught  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

Well that's definitely the kinda bait to be selling.....one that is hot year round. 

The lizard I've been bugging Mitch about is truly only at its best for 2 months out of the year.  That may be why nobody makes them anymore.  

I love fishing a lizard. I didn’t fish one much this year, but I usually do pretty stellar with one from mid-April through June. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do hellgrammites normally get that big or is there another reason for the size? I think the largest hellgrammite I've ever seen was in the 3" bracket, but they have never been a part of my fishing either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tjm said:

Do hellgrammites normally get that big or is there another reason for the size? I think the largest hellgrammite I've ever seen was in the 3" bracket, but they have never been a part of my fishing either.

            Nope just about the size you are saying, 

 BUT you don't see pink lizards or junebug metal flake crawdads either. Bass are pretty stupid and if it will fit in their mouth it will get eaten.

 BilletHead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, slothman said:

I love fishing a lizard. I didn’t fish one much this year, but I usually do pretty stellar with one from mid-April through June. 

I'm actually talking about a bubble-gum floating lizard with a hook just barely heavy enough to pull it sub-surface.  Then fished "walk the dog" fashion under the surface.  (like a Fluke)

Bass will absolutely not tolerate that thing in their area, and nothing is more fun than watching that pink light go out.  😊 You can even see it at night if there's a little bit of moon glow.   

Nobody makes floating lizards anymore. 😥

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

I'm actually talking about a bubble-gum floating lizard with a hook just barely heavy enough to pull it sub-surface.  Then fished "walk the dog" fashion under the surface.  (like a Fluke)

Bass will absolutely not tolerate that thing in their area, and nothing is more fun than watching that pink light go out.  😊 You can even see it at night if there's a little bit of moon glow.   

Nobody makes floating lizards anymore. 😥

I literally do this all year long on the rivers (when it's clear enough) with a light wire 4/0 worm hook and a pink trick worm. It's my favorite way to catch fish when the water clears up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tjm said:

Do hellgrammites normally get that big or is there another reason for the size? I think the largest hellgrammite I've ever seen was in the 3" bracket, but they have never been a part of my fishing either.

The actually hellgrammite that we used was 3 3/4”.  But that took me a half a day to find. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.