another windy day!

merc1997 Bo

went fishing this afternoon and it was another windy one.  finally found a bunch grouped up and caught them from 40 ft. to 80 ft.  most bites where in the 50 to 60 ft. range.  had one nice lmg and 3 other keeper lmgs.  the rest of the keeps were k's.  most were caught on the 3/4 ZincSpoon chartreuse.  the biggest black  came on a head i am working on that sits dead level with any gitzit or shad body.  it is a 1 oz, but not for sure if the head size is too big and not blend in with the plastic.  i used to use a 1/4 head with a leader and barrel swivel and i 1 oz. weight on top of the barrel swivel.  just thought i should have had more bites on it than what i got.

bo

12-12-18-1.JPG

This post has been promoted to an article

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Good goin'.  Are you having to fizz them when you catch them that deep?

no, they go right back down.  we actually used to pin one with a balloon and enough line to reach as deep as they were going to go.  they go right down into the school, and you can follow the school that way.  we would go off and fish another area to let them rest and gather back up and come back, and they were easy to find by just looking for the balloon.  they fight just as good second time up.  if you put one in the livewell, then you will have to fizz or keep them a livewell that is iced down to 10 to 12 degrees colder than what they came out of and it will shrink the air bladder back to normal in two to three hours.

bo

1 hour ago, kdc said:

Thanks for the report Bo are u still finding them on main lake  gravel run outs

you just have to spend the time and gas and go looking.  always keep in mind that shad are very channel oriented unless they have been pushed to a trapping edge or up onto a flat.  the hardest part is boat control when out in the middle of the lake and the wind is zinging.  right now, you have to sit very still and do not move your lure much.  pretty much like vertical crappie fishing.  let that baby hang in front of their nose long enough and bang, they smack it.  this type of fishing takes very precise trolling motor and electronic skills.

bo

22 hours ago, merc1997 said:

no, they go right back down.  we actually used to pin one with a balloon and enough line to reach as deep as they were going to go.  they go right down into the school, and you can follow the school that way.  we would go off and fish another area to let them rest and gather back up and come back, and they were easy to find by just looking for the balloon.  they fight just as good second time up.  if you put one in the livewell, then you will have to fizz or keep them a livewell that is iced down to 10 to 12 degrees colder than what they came out of and it will shrink the air bladder back to normal in two to three hours.

bo

That is a great technique to use with the balloon. Reminds me of the movie Jaws when Quint shot the barrels in the shark.