Mercury Dip Stick

I have a 2012 115 hp Mercury Optimax 2 stroke. I noticed that the dip stick that attaches to to cap has broke off. Not sure why. Does anyone know if that is of any concern? I You can see right through the tank wall and see the oil.

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity...... Or you could just flip a coin???B)

Which tank the tank on the motor or the tank in the bilge area?

If it's the tank on your motor it's the low oil sending unit.

I know everything about nothing and know nothing about everything!

Bruce Philips

I guess the only concern would be if the little dip stick chain balls managed to get in the oil outlet and manged to block off the oil flow. I have the 2005 version and my tank was black until the sending unit went bad. New tank is see through. 

Nobody here is making any sense to me.

No "dipstick" on any Optimax oil reservoir that I've ever seen. Just a cap with a tether to keep it from getting lost.

The sensor doesn't come out with the cap, it is built into the reservoir body.

Never EVER seen a "black" reservoir.  

So until I understand WTF you are talking about I can't help, sorry.  🤔

This is what my old one looked like before the sending unit went bad. The cap was attached via the little chain. Your probably right it was designed as a tether but without a way to really check the oil level it was a dipstick to me. 

image.png

Yea Devan, I guess in reality, it probably isn't a dip stick. But it was just something to call it.  Mine looks like the very last pic. The translucent one. Thanks for your input... Mike

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity...... Or you could just flip a coin???B)