Big One Got Away

Phil Lilley

2 minutes ago, Terrierman said:

I autopsied that fish and he had a belly full of scuds.  They're just eating machines.  Probably would have bit a cigarette butt.

No Doubt

I believe the younger browns probably primarily feed on insects but the bigger ones primarily feed on other fish. 

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

2 hours ago, laker67 said:

I have only caught one big fish,  " over 30 inches", on a streamer pattern. Leonard's hibernator to be exact. The other 31 big fish, "over 30 inches", came on a #12 or smaller scud and one that I recall on  a white egg at night. The majority came on # 14 and # 16.  7x to 6x tippet.

So what pound test is a 7X tippet or a 6X?

2 minutes ago, Terrierman said:

Well, I was joking but I do know that big fish eat everything they can and scuds grow them fast.

Next time you are at taney and they generate big water in a hurry, stand 100 feet below outlet 2 and watch big fish eat clumps of moss floating down stream that have been tore loose by the current. Those clumps of moss are full of sowbugs.

21 minutes ago, Terrierman said:

I autopsied that fish and he had a belly full of scuds.  They're just eating machines.  Probably would have bit a cigarette butt.

18 minutes ago, laker67 said:

the same thing with Rip Collins arkansas world record fish. A stomach full of sowbugs.

Sad that both of these fish are dead.

1 minute ago, Mitch f said:

Sad that both of these fish are dead.

Big record fish in missouri and arkansas are near the end of their life cycle. Turning them out would most likely end up in tragedy anyway. The new triploid fish will reach record size and still have life.

30 minutes ago, Mitch f said:

the bigger ones primarily feed on other fish. 

and fish parts. Phi'ls pet brown they call Frank rarely ventures too far away from the cleaning station from what I've seen. That thing would crush the current state record. He pays zero attention to night crawlers and anything else that you can legally throw in front of him. My father in law caught an 18" rainbow that was just shy of 3# off of Phil's dock last year and he just had to clean it and eat it. That trout had multiple sculpins and a fresh trout tail in it's gut when I cleaned him and he was caught on a night crawler. Trout are as bad as an old channel cat for being scavengers.

22 minutes ago, laker67 said:

Next time you are at taney and they generate big water in a hurry, stand 100 feet below outlet 2 and watch big fish eat clumps of moss floating down stream that have been tore loose by the current. Those clumps of moss are full of sowbugs.

Now that’s interesting.

29 minutes ago, laker67 said:

Well if I extend it on out to 38.5 inches I can tell you exactly. 1,588.

Holy Sowbug, Batman !   

I knew you were notorious for Bigguns, but I had no idea.   Somebody hand that man a crown 👑, or a case of fine whiskey, or SOMETHING.     

WOW!  👏