OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Phil Lilley

Big One Got Away

35 minutes ago, BilletHead said:

Maybe it was suspended near the thermocline? 

Heck when you fished with me there were many rocks you set the hook into. I remember too we had to go over and release all the rocks. #freethefighter   #keepthemwet . I may also add no rocks were hurt during this outing. Also do rocks feel pain?

BilletHead

Not according to Paul Simon.

Some of my better rock bass photos :D

This one got me out into the current and I really had to horse it in. I was worried about breaking my #6 leader.

Rock Rock bass - Barclay Access - Niangua - 28Sep16.JPG

Caught this one with @Terrierman during Jigfest 2017. He had to control the boat while I reeled this guy in so that I wouldn't lose it.

Rockbass - Buffalo City access - 09Dec17.jpg

4 minutes ago, JestersHK said:

Wish you could of at least caught a glimpse of the fish Phil...

There be sea monsters in the lake for sure!

There you go DJ trying to return this thread back to Phil's big fish :P!

14 minutes ago, JestersHK said:

Wish you could of at least caught a glimpse of the fish Phil...

There be sea monsters in the lake for sure!

I really hate it when I lose Unidentified Fishy Objects.  (UFO).  I really like to be able to identify what it was that got off.

When Becky and I were dating in college we were fishing off the KK dock below Branson.  We were using crawlers on a tight line and she hooked a huge fish.  Lots of instruction and laughing during the battle.  We kept seeing gold flashes I think we were using a yellow Eagle Claw rod with a Mitchel Reel and 4 pound line.  That limber rod was bent double and the old reel would grudgingly in short bursts give up line.  We just knew from seeing those brown/golden flashes it was a record Brown.  Of course it was Mr. Bugle Mouth and that was really funny.  We got it in and let it loose.  Not 5 minutes later she had another one she could not turn.  Finally got it to the dock and it was a huge rainbow, I'm guessing 10 lb. range.  Of course that one got off at the dock.

Both fish still make me giggle.

44 minutes ago, Quillback said:

I really hate it when I lose Unidentified Fishy Objects.  (UFO).  I really like to be able to identify what it was that got off.

I would say that I am more inclined to not wanting to know what I have lost. If I see it and it was a species that I was targeting then it haunts me, like the musky that I lost in the spring, the McCloud rainbow that I missed the hook set in Crane during Taneyfest, the shadow bass and chain pickerel I lost on my last trip with Ham....! Thanks for bringing up painful memories buddy :unsure:!

29 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I've rolled too many carp and drum that I thought were record breakers. :huh:

My cuz Brandon swore this was a huge brownie for the first few minutes down below the dam.  Then I finally saw it and bust out laughing. 

Still a great catch on two pound test though.

IMG_20171103_225113.jpg