OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sprint21fter

Adventures w/Fishrman & Sprint 12/26

Met Fishrman at Shell Knob mid morning to what we both believed to be "slug fest" conditions for Jerkbaitin and Cranking.  First stop was Fisherman's and it was on as quick as it started it stopped. Boated 4 largemouth w/ 3 nice keepers 2 in the 3 lb range. 1 Jerkbaitin, 2 A-RIG.   Started running the pattern and wind on certain banks and that quickly came to a halt. Caught a couple shorts on  A-RIG, Fishrman had a solid fish on the JerkbAit pull off then shortly after hooked a Butterball Kentucky that belched shad all the way to the boat to come off at the boat.  Worked our way into the Kings to see if they were willing to bite the RK, caught 3 short Kentucky's but we could tell that they didn't want anything banging on the bottom.  Moved up the river another bend and Fishrman stuck a solid 3 lber on a Jerkbait. That was it on that stretch. Decided to run back towards SK and finish out the day, caught 2 more non keepers cranking. Finished off our limit 1/2 way back into a pocket on the A-RIG with a nice 3 lber.  Wt 47-48. Everyone have a happy New year!

After that morning trip on Christmas at the dam and the  stink up I had,  I came home and warmed up a turkey dinner Becky had made for me and I just could not let it rest.  At noon I jumped back in the truck and headed for Eagle Rock.  Wanted to fish those deep river channel runoffs and see If I  could catch a biggin or for that matter a fish.

Was kind of surprised at the number of folks fishing, there had been no one at the dam.  I saw at least a dozen maybe 15 different boats out.  Did have one guy get way to close but when your fishing in the middle of the lake that's the way it is.

It was slick as snot up there with surface temps above Eagle Rock at 45.6 and surface temps at Viney at 48  Caught 3 LM on a GP, 3/4 oz. Pig Sticker Quick 5 with a Nicholes Copper Craw in about 30 minutes on a mid-lake channel swing and then 2  smallmouth on the same jig at Viney.  That was it.  All keeps and just that.  One of the LM might have gone 2.5 but that would have taken care of him.  Fished till 5.

Way to slick for the jerker or crank and I didn't want to throw the Rig.  Did swim a Keitech a bit but no love.

I did have a big fish on up the river, I banged into a stump with the jig and it got heavy I really leaned back on it and that fish took right off for deep water.  I had it on for perhaps 10 to 15 seconds and it just came unbuttoned.  Don't know but it had me bowed up and I could feel a big tail thumping.  I have caught many, many over 5 pounds on that stump row.  Randy knows the location.  Just a good LM spot and at times a walleye or two, very seldom catch a spot up there and never a jaw.  River channel bank is in 15' to 20' and falls vertical to 60'   Top of the bank is lined with stumps, great spot and right in the middle of the lake. 

All 5 of my fish were in 15' to 25' right on the edge of the river channel.  I looked off for suspended fish and fish in the guts of the channel, but didn't see any.

There are lots of locations like that up the White above Rock Creek, and if a guy lived up there and spent time on the graph it is no telling what you would find.  Trouble is fish catching gets in the way and its more fun to fish than look at electronics.

Good Luck

10 hours ago, Bill Babler said:

After that morning trip on Christmas at the dam and the  stink up I had,  I came home and warmed up a turkey dinner Becky had made for me and I just could not let it rest.  At noon I jumped back in the truck and headed for Eagle Rock.  Wanted to fish those deep river channel runoffs and see If I  could catch a biggin or for that matter a fish.

Was kind of surprised at the number of folks fishing, there had been no one at the dam.  I saw at least a dozen maybe 15 different boats out.  Did have one guy get way to close but when your fishing in the middle of the lake that's the way it is.

It was slick as snot up there with surface temps above Eagle Rock at 45.6 and surface temps at Viney at 48  Caught 3 LM on a GP, 3/4 oz. Pig Sticker Quick 5 with a Nicholes Copper Craw in about 30 minutes on a mid-lake channel swing and then 2  smallmouth on the same jig at Viney.  That was it.  All keeps and just that.  One of the LM might have gone 2.5 but that would have taken care of him.  Fished till 5.

Way to slick for the jerker or crank and I didn't want to throw the Rig.  Did swim a Keitech a bit but no love.

I did have a big fish on up the river, I banged into a stump with the jig and it got heavy I really leaned back on it and that fish took right off for deep water.  I had it on for perhaps 10 to 15 seconds and it just came unbuttoned.  Don't know but it had me bowed up and I could feel a big tail thumping.  I have caught many, many over 5 pounds on that stump row.  Randy knows the location.  Just a good LM spot and at times a walleye or two, very seldom catch a spot up there and never a jaw.  River channel bank is in 15' to 20' and falls vertical to 60'   Top of the bank is lined with stumps, great spot and right in the middle of the lake. 

All 5 of my fish were in 15' to 25' right on the edge of the river channel.  I looked off for suspended fish and fish in the guts of the channel, but didn't see any.

There are lots of locations like that up the White above Rock Creek, and if a guy lived up there and spent time on the graph it is no telling what you would find.  Trouble is fish catching gets in the way and its more fun to fish than look at electronics.

Good Luck

I wish you had put it in the boat for a picture. From Roaring River up to Holiday Island there are several roll offs to the channel that can produce good fish - walleye and bass. What is better, up on this end, the LM are as likely as the spots. The only thing missing? We see fewer SM.

Totally agree.  I have had good success on some of the gravel from the 86 bridge down stream for SM, but it seems when I get above the bridge I have caught very few.  That long gravel run out point just down stream at the bluffend before you get to the bouy point across from RR has always held at times SM.  Jaws here just love gravel.

I  get up steam of the bridge and its more LM than K's, for me especially on the deep winter channel swing cover.  I do catch top water K's up there, but I rarely catch the quality of K that live between Campbell Point and Long Creek.

I think it was in 2013 Bill Beck and I took a day in March and totally hammered the K's up there on a float n fly.  We were looking for big  LM. from Big M up, staging off the bluffends and we could not keep the K's off.  All of the Bluffend points form the Bridge up to Holiday were totally polluted with them.  None big, lots of 12 to 16 inch fish, but just crazy good fishing.

I don't tend to get up  that far in the Summer as most of my trips are Shell Knob downstream, but in the off season I simply love to fish from RR to the Beaver town Bridge.