Messing with the local ducks

Gavin

Fun moment at the local pond. About 12 local ducks and 2 dozen local geese usual. Many more on the pond today. Just go to listen because you can’t shoot them there. Called twice and had 3 I did not see come in wings and feet down then flair at 10yrds. Had 1/2 dozen swimming towards me. I suck at calling, but got some response today

7 hours ago, Gavin said:

Fun moment at the local pond. About 12 local ducks and 2 dozen local geese usual. Many more on the pond today. Just go to listen because you can’t shoot them there. Called twice and had 3 I did not see come in wings and feet down then flair at 10yrds. Had 1/2 dozen swimming towards me. I suck at calling, but got some response today

I think I suck at calling to Gavin but manage to take my fair share. Have you ever listened to humans talk? Good grief we are all different and some folks don't make any sense at all. So people respond to people no matter how they talk. I think animals do the same, they have to be different or how would one recognize each others voices? You are doing right by studying and listening to the real thing but no duck call is perfect like no human voice is,

BilletHead 

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

9 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

So who makes the best duck calls ?

If the Robertson's got so allegedly rich selling duck calls then why don't I ever see their calls on the lanyards of all my waterfowl hunting aquaintances ?  

Just curious.

That's a loaded question. Who makes the best pickups, suv's, boats and motors. You will get so many answers. You can spend 10 to 20 dollars and up to hundreds of bucks. Same with goose calls. They are coveted and collected.

So my best call is the one that puts my next meal in front of me. All el cheapos. I do have one my parents had made for me in 77 or 78 for Christmas. A Bog Pettybone out of Deerfield Missouri. It stays in the gun safe,

BilletHead 

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

BilletHead

Dunno, my 9 yr old won a custom duck call at a charity raffle. It sounds pretty good, but a mallard duck call is a simple product and easy to make/copy. You could make some FW. You probably have all the tools.              Figure it’s the person playing the tune more than the call itself.

1 hour ago, BilletHead said:

That's a loaded question. Who makes the best pickups, suv's, boats and motors. You will get so many answers. You can spend 10 to 20 dollars and up to hundreds of bucks. Same with goose calls. They are coveted and collected.

So my best call is the one that puts my next meal in front of me. All el cheapos. I do have one my parents had made for me in 77 or 78 for Christmas. A Bog Pettybone out of Deerfield Missouri. It stays in the gun safe,

BilletHead 

Boog's calls made from hedge are world class collectibles.  I've held and blown a few but never owned one.  When I was serious about waterfowling, I became a big believer in the handmade acrylic calls.  The best one I had was made and signed by Jeff Foiles.  Cost me 0$, won it in a drawing at a DU banquet in Jefferson City.  Wait.  Did I say 0$ for being at a DU banquet?:huh:

6 minutes ago, Terrierman said:

Boog's calls made from hedge are world class collectibles.  I've held and blown a few but never owned one.  When I was serious about waterfowling, I became a big believer in the handmade acrylic calls.  The best one I had was made and signed by Jeff Foiles.  Cost me 0$, won it in a drawing at a DU banquet in Jefferson City.  Wait.  Did I say 0$ for being at a DU banquet?:huh:

It's a hedge call :) ,

BilletHead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

8 minutes ago, BilletHead said:

It's a hedge call :) ,

BilletHead

It's an heirloom.  But you should also use it.  With a double loop lanyard, don't want anything going kerplop from that one.

2 minutes ago, slothman said:

I’ve called and killed plenty of ducks with cheap calls. I think all of mine are Buck Garner. My teal call might be a primos. Goose call is a Buck Garner too, but has been used considerably less.

More about the person doing the calling than the call imo. 

It is.  But put a top shelf call in the hands of an accomplished caller and there is a difference.