Varmit weapon

Dutch

50 minutes ago, MOPanfisher said:

Beat up Marlin bolt action 22 WMR.  Will easily handle a 100 yat shot, cheap and easy to find, plenty accurate.  Not as cool a some other options but will work well.  If an AR is more your preference they are cheap right now also.

A beater is basically what I want.  S-I-L will be main shooter.  Based on past experience I think he will need more than 1 shot most of the time so I'm thinking semi auto.  I plan to get this at a pawn shop just trying to get caliber ideas.  I'm really only familiar with 22s and the rifles that I have set up for deer hunting.  I wonder what those CJs in the middle east are using against us?  I'm betting that they are beaters which don't need much care.

I am one of those who is not a 10/22 fan, they are OK, but for critters like coyotes they can carry lead well.  ARs are cheap, accurate and about as bullet proof as it gets.  PSA has rifle kits on sale right now for $299.  Buy a lower at any gun show or shop for $50, assemble the pieces into the lower, buy a magazine ammo and I reccomend a lower power scope in the 2-7 range.  Or something like a Mossberg Patriot or Savage in 223.  Second shots are still quick, makes for better first shots as well.  Heck drive me around and I will bring my own rifle and ammo, then we can go fishing!  Worst thing about an AR is that they fling empties around, not a problem in a UTV probably but inside the cab of a pick up its bad news.  ARSs need very little care, just keep the bolt oiled and keep shooting.

21 minutes ago, MOPanfisher said:

I am one of those who is not a 10/22 fan, they are OK, but for critters like coyotes they can carry lead well.  ARs are cheap, accurate and about as bullet proof as it gets.  PSA has rifle kits on sale right now for $299.  Buy a lower at any gun show or shop for $50, assemble the pieces into the lower, buy a magazine ammo and I reccomend a lower power scope in the 2-7 range.  Or something like a Mossberg Patriot or Savage in 223.  Second shots are still quick, makes for better first shots as well.  Heck drive me around and I will bring my own rifle and ammo, then we can go fishing!  Worst thing about an AR is that they fling empties around, not a problem in a UTV probably but inside the cab of a pick up its bad news.  ARSs need very little care, just keep the bolt oiled and keep shooting.

Anytime you want to come down I'll drive you around then we can make a run to one of the ponds.  The farm is only about 20 miles from Cape Fair.

I shoot armadillos with 1 1/4 oz of #5 lead at about 1300 FPS.   I figure an effective range of about 40 yards.  No ricochet worries or about hitting one of the cows out in the pasture behind the house in case of a miss.  Kill far more of them at night and usually inside 30 feet. 

For a 100 yard deal, I second the .22 WMR bolt action recommendation.  The second shot comes fast enough and the bolt guns are usually more accurate.  They are for sure robust.   Mine is a stainless 77/22 with the old boat paddle stock.  2x7 Leupold compact scope.  It's a real favorite.  For armadillo and groundhogs out to 100 yards where you're not looking for head shots a fixed 4x would be fine.

100 yard shot is a walk in the park with open sights if your eyeballs are still working right.  AR mil spec sights are great.  Zero at 25 yards and dope the ranges to figure hitting point down range.  It is a fast, flat shooting round with a great ballistic coefficient to carry on for several hundred yards without much adj.  In .556 or .223.

I grew up on open sights, I tend to train new shooters on them when possible.  Scopes tend to distort your problems.  Open sights make you work out your problems.

First, you need a caliber that will zero at 100 yards.  22 lr is not good past 40 yards without some doping.  You need faster velocities that hold up speed out that far.

I have grown to be a .17 hmr fan, its like a lazer out to 100 yards and beyond.  Low recoil and flat shooting.  Plenty of pop to zap most varmints at range.  Armadillos deliver a nice popping noise when hit with a disruptive 25 gr hollow point.  It sprawls inside and delivers the coups de grace quickly.  I did nail one with a 150 gr sp 30-06 one time that exploded.  But it was the only thing in my hand at the time.

If you shoot alot, and shoot many types of rifles, then it will become second nature.  Open sights work great as long as you take in account the ballistics of the rifle you are shooting.  Alot of smaller fast moving bullets travel flat in the first 100 yards.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

Regarding your ricochet concern, there is an incredible amount of light “frangible?” ammo for .223/5.56 out there. Varmegedon is a popular line. Bullets give up at first contact. 

I was slow to get an AR platform. Went the previously mentioned PSA route. .223 Wylde shoots sub MOA from almost any rest and is very compact and durable. Gives lots of options if MO ever allows lights or other night accessories for varmints. 

17 HMR is a zapper for sure  You can find Marlins or Savages in .17 HMR fairly cheap though.  If shooting at night a decent pawn shop 20 gauge shotgun with some large sized shot would work also as shots are likely to be close.  Friend of mine traps them using a couple of long boards to make wings to direct them into a trap and baits it with applesauce, seems to work fairly well for him.