OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
siusaluki

Steamboat springs Colorado

Looks like I will be in the steamboat area for a fly fishing and skiing trip in March. I am really interested in fishing the Yampa below stagecoach resevoir. I've done some research and have a good feel for the area, but wanted to see if anyone had any good intel for me.  I've got to get tying for the trip before my free time will be spent floating and fishing.

I fished it but it was years ago.  One thing I've learned about CO trout.  They will bite the exact things trout bite here in MO.  Sometimes better.  I don't know if it's just not popular out there but dragging and un-weighted bugger on a sinking linehas always been pretty deadly.  If I were rigging my rod at home before seeing the water I would put on an egg and midge. 

Good luck and post up a report with pictures please...You know, for all of us stuck here:)

I've got my old standby's ready to go, but  have never fished out west.  I have caught fish on my wooly bugger variants in Ireland, France, the NE USA and all over the midwest so I am sure it will work out there. I would think in a tailwater there should be some good midge/scud fishing as well.

2 hours ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I fished it but it was years ago.  One thing I've learned about CO trout.  They will bite the exact things trout bite here in MO.  Sometimes better.  I don't know if it's just not popular out there but dragging and un-weighted bugger on a sinking linehas always been pretty deadly.  If I were rigging my rod at home before seeing the water I would put on an egg and midge. 

Good luck and post up a report with pictures please...You know, for all of us stuck here:)

Yep, mohair leeches and bead headed stone flies work here and work just as good out there.  Love fishing for those native CO trout.

Was there last September. Reminder- there's a fee to fish below the reservoir, I think $6/day.

The regular stuff didn't get touched. Went down to a #20 cream zebra midge on 7x and caught two 16-18" browns before a thunderstorm chased me off. Saw some monsters, couldn't turn them with streamers. Headed over to Ft Collins the next day and stopped at Joe Wright Reservoir for some grayling.

Good luck!