OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sprint21fter

Baxter- Deep Bite

Today was a typical post front blue bird calm day. Perfect for deep fishing which I can do but  I don't do much.  It worked out today!  Spoon= 20 fish 6 keeper football spots. Spots were stuffed full of shad 2-3 inches long.  A-RIG=3 fish 2 keepers. Shallower on the rig 35ft sitting 15ft down. Only Largemouth was a 3 1/4 on the rig.  Depth 70-80 ft deep, fish were above the shad in 60-50ft. Fished from 730-400. Caught all fish 8:30 - 10:30am. It was a head scratcher after that. 

Thats a great morning on the rock!

Shell Knob to Viney for me Yesterday with a client that wanted to deep fish.  Started at 0700 and could find zero deep shad or deep fish.  Really struggled.  Water temps at Shell Knob 46 degree at Viney creek 43.9

Lake was up close to 2' and really muddy and full of floaters.  Last Sunday during the Bill Beck tournament the water temp was 49 and gin clear.

Had zero fish at 9:30 so we picked up the stick baits as a puff of wind was here and there.  He caught a solid keeper spot on his first jerk bait cast and that was it.  He did not want to throw the Stupid Rig as Buster Loving calls the A-rig so we started throwing a Ned around on the flat water and it suddenly turned a little crazy.  All fish under 12 feet and we ended up with 10 keepers and a total of 15 fish on the Ned from 11 AM till 3 PM.

Nothing big but a solid limit of 12 pounds or so.  Heard also that they were wacking the underspin from Baxter to Shell Knob, right on the bank on pretty flat stuff.  Lots of brown fish on that underspin.  Chris Tetrick said they had 15 keepers on it.

Fished mostly transition cuts with chunk and gravel, above Shell Knob, not steep at all.  Bite was mostly sponge and just got heavy.  You had better jerk if you  even suspected a bite as it was extremely lite.  Used a 3/16 head on the Ned, but could have gotten away with less.

Found out where the deep shad had gone as they are right on the bank.  We saw massive schools and  with 10's of thousands of shad latterly right on the bank in mostly 10' and under.

The schools were right on the surface and you could see shad from dime size to 3 inches in the schools all mixed together.  They would just swarm under the boat,  you could almost stir them with the trolling motor.

Most of the fish we caught were spitting small shad very similar to Sprints, and were just chocked full of them.

Good Luck

Baxter area seemed more stable, it appeared the shad were still deep at the mouthes of the creeks. I was hoping to find the shad had moved shallow like that but they haven't done it where I fished yesterday. I really thought about the little rig but didn't throw it none.

i've pretty much put the deep fishing in the books until next season.  back to other things.  was going to put a post up, and will when i get time and a few pics.  has been a hodge podge for a couple of weeks.  finished up deep fishing with a good trip and then could not find anything grouped up.  switched to the little doodle (ned), a tube, and some on a crankbait.  have caught several shorts and a good amount of keepers on all three.  the crank is pretty sporadic but has produced some 3's.  the doodle and the tube have been getting the most love and many of those bites are in the 15 to 20 ft. range.

i would imagine that if you can come across some of those big shad wads up shallow there should be a good number of feeding fish near.  just have to figure out how to get them to bite.

bo