OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kjackson

What the heck did it?

16 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

You probably should check your lines more frequently.

I tend to check the setline every couple of hours during the day but leave them in overnight.  This is the first time I've had something chew on a fish. Granted, I've had hooks gone and droppers cut/broken, but I attributed this to the cats doing their twisting dance once hooked.  

All the turtle/snake/setline thing is new to me. I've spent most of my life in the Pacific Northwest, and living here is a learning experience...

I'm saying it was a turtle from the description of chunks missing, but if it had any claw marks I'd switch my answer to otter.  Especially if you were on the little Niangua.  We have had a fair amount of issues with them.  I second the notion of checking your line in the night.  I feel like they bite the best before midnight, so a check around 11pm or midnight is the "sportsman" thing to do and then you can re-bait the line too and possibly double up!

I have a customer that has 6 lines off his dock, just hanging down at different depths and he keeps them baited and checked several times a day.   He'll go weeks without catching anything.....then for a week straight he will absolutely load the freezer every single day.   No ryhme or reason why.  

21 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

I have a customer that has 6 lines off his dock, just hanging down at different depths and he keeps them baited and checked several times a day.   He'll go weeks without catching anything.....then for a week straight he will absolutely load the freezer every single day.   No ryhme or reason why.  

Oh there's a reason all right.  And I can tell you what it is if you ask real nice.

3 hours ago, Terrierman said:

Oh there's a reason all right.  And I can tell you what it is if you ask real nice.

It kinda indicates that channel and blue cats behave like turkeys.   Large groups of them will move in and occupy a certain area for a short while, then move on somewhere else.  

Kinda like you guys that keep traveling all over the place.  Even though everything you need is right where you are.  You just always feel that the grass is greener elsewhere, I reckon.  😎