OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Quillback

January 8, Big M area

Not a whole lot going on, I had exactly 2 bites, one was a keeper sized LM, and the other was a 14" spot.  That's in about 5 hours of fishing.  LM came on a Z-Man craw and the spot on a Ned rig.  Wind was hooting which made the finesse fishing challenging.  Threw some cranks for a while, but no luck on them.

Water color looks good, nice green stain.  WT 46.

Did not see a single fishing boat today.  Don't know if I have ever fished a day on the Rock and not seen at least a boat or two.  That tells me that it is tough on this end of the lake.

I might have to buy some of those ice jigs.  Or wait for spring.

large.Jan8bass.jpg

QB Nice to get out and catch a couple. Still haven't wet a line yet this year. Definitely champing at the bit to catch a fish.

5 hours ago, Quillback said:

Not a whole lot going on, I had exactly 2 bites, one was a keeper sized LM, and the other was a 14" spot.  That's in about 5 hours of fishing.  LM came on a Z-Man craw and the spot on a Ned rig.  Wind was hooting which made the finesse fishing challenging.  Threw some cranks for a while, but no luck on them.

Water color looks good, nice green stain.  WT 46.

Did not see a single fishing boat today.  Don't know if I have ever fished a day on the Rock and not seen at least a boat or two.  That tells me that it is tough on this end of the lake.

I might have to buy some of those ice jigs.  Or wait for spring.

large.Jan8bass.jpg

somewhat typical for this time of year.  bait and fish are scattered.  i went today, and yes you had to fish something with wind protection.  here are couple of hints.  the bites i had were mostly 10 to 15 ft. deep.  i caught most of them on a tube fished on a Pro Series 3/16 head and on 20 lb. test braid tied straight to the jig, no leader.  the braid is only 6 lb. test which helps get the lure to depth and also helps with strike detection and instant hook penetration on the hookset.  the ned will also catch them.  i have been using the ned using one of our 1/8 Crappie Jigs to put the TRD on.  the tube has been catching better numbers of keepers.

bo