New lake just south of Joplin!!!!

CoolHandFluke

The COE has to approve most any thing connected with streams and lakes.  I wanted to make a ditch to Spring creek so I could get fresh water for the cows.  I was told that the COE would have to approve it, give me specs to follow and inspect after finished.  I opted for a pond.

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

The COE has to approve most any thing connected with streams and lakes.  I wanted to make a ditch to Spring creek so I could get fresh water for the cows.  I was told that the COE would have to approve it, give me specs to follow and inspect after finished.  I opted for a pond.

A neighbor was forced by the COE to  fence his cows out of an oxbow slough on the basis it might reconnect to the creek in high flood stage. If it's water the Army owns it.

if you really want to know, google Section 404 and Section 401 permits.  EPA regulations, which the Corps is involved with.  The permits have to do with discharge into public waterways and and placing material into wetlands, blah, blah, blah.  

6 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Fencing cows away from running water is always a good idea. They are a major source of E. coli contamination, and they are hell on stream banks.

Agreed. They are allowed to roam free on too many rivers around here. Big nice gravel bar on the lower James that would be great for camping if it wasn’t covered in cow patties. And people at TR are worried about the water coming from Springfield. 

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Fencing cows away from running water is always a good idea. They are a major source of E. coli contamination, and they are hell on stream banks.

That slough is a hundred yards from running water and has only been flooded a couple times in the last fifty years.  All hamburger and steak pastures drain into some water way. For the sake of clean water we should extirpate all cattle and other meat animals.