Ned Heads?

swelbo1

• Members

This past summer I was running low on Ned heads but Dave was out of commission. I went looking and I found these. I wanted a light wire weed guard, #1 Mustad Ultra Point hooks and the flat back mushroom head.

Ned Rig/ Midwest Finesse Rig Weedless Shroom Head (10Pack) With Mustad Hooks

I've been very pleased with them. They are reasonably priced, good quality hooks & paint and the guy ships fast.

19 minutes ago, MGP said:

This past summer I was running low on Ned heads but Dave was out of commission. I went looking and I found these. I wanted a light wire weed guard, #1 Mustad Ultra Point hooks and the flat back mushroom head.

I've been very pleased with them. They are reasonably priced, good quality hooks & paint and the guy ships fast.

I have tried those as well and liked them except for the weedguard. After a fish or two, it's all bent to heck and a bit of a challenge to get straightened again. I prefer the mono guards. 

Found these recently and although I haven't had a chance to throw them yet, I like the small head, guard, and choice of hook sizes, #2, #1, and especially the 1/0. I'll be giving them a workout in 6 weeks or so, Lord willing. 😉  They're a little pricey, probably due to the use of tungsten for the head.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Keitech_Mono_Guard_Jig_Head/descpage-KEMGJHD.html

"There was a time that I didn't fish, but I cannot remember it."

2 hours ago, Bill Babler said:

Durn I have a feeling that Dave's wife must not be doing well.  We need to contact him.  I'll try today.

Please post. Anxious to hear what you find out.

"There was a time that I didn't fish, but I cannot remember it."

1 hour ago, MGP said:

I agree with you on those heads as I have been using Aaron's heads for a year now and all I can say is I catch a hell of lot bigger bass on them than any bass I see posted here on Neds. 1/8 oz in the smallest I would ever use.

I will also agree with quill those Hyabusa heads are very nice as I have been using them as well

577.JPG

728.JPG

I don't throw the NED very often, but I have been using Swingoil Baits NED head with the 1/0 hook. My favorite thing about them is that if I forget to bring fresh glue, they have a bait keeper on the hook and it keeps the Elaztech on well enough to where I'm not constantly adjusting the bait after every cast. When I actually do remember to bring glue, I just nip the keeper off. The price is right as well, but he doesn't offer them in the really small sizes. I've always used 1/8oz anyways. Also, I believe they are a forum sponsor.

https://www.swingoilbaits.com/NED-HEADZ-SKU-244.htm

Just a quick deal on the weed guards.  I'm going to say now that they make absolutely no difference on hangups.  At times with two fishermen I fish one with a guard and one without.  I also at times use a guard till it comes apart and then just clip it off.  This is on the water trial and error hundreds of hours and the guard makes little or no difference on hangups.

I'm not throwing it in the brush, I'm fishing Table Rock with it.

What does make a difference it the weight of the head.  I throw a lot of 3/16 and even up to 1/4 and if I'm fishing extremely shallow they will hang.  Right now not at all.  If I drop down to a 1/16 or an 1/8 very little hanging up thrown completely up on the waterline.

Weight and depth is a hangup problem way more than the weed guard that if you drop behind a rock makes little or no difference anyway.