Ned Heads?

swelbo1

56 minutes ago, Bill Babler said:

Just a quick deal on the weed guards.  I'm going to say now that they make absolutely no difference on hangups.  At times with two fishermen I fish one with a guard and one without.  I also at times use a guard till it comes apart and then just clip it off.  This is on the water trial and error hundreds of hours and the guard makes little or no difference on hangups.

I'm not throwing it in the brush, I'm fishing Table Rock with it.

What does make a difference it the weight of the head.  I throw a lot of 3/16 and even up to 1/4 and if I'm fishing extremely shallow they will hang.  Right now not at all.  If I drop down to a 1/16 or an 1/8 very little hanging up thrown completely up on the waterline.

Weight and depth is a hangup problem way more than the weed guard that if you drop behind a rock makes little or no difference anyway.

So my frustration with all of the hangups is likely using too heavy of a jig head?  That makes sense and I totally agree that the weedguards are a waste.

1 hour ago, aarchdale@coresleep.com said:

i started making my own with guards and i rarely lose any.   I believe in them, but thats just my opinion

X2 

I won't use them without weed guards and I rarely fish anything heavier than a 3/32 oz head.

Aside from head shape design, the weight of the head has more to do with snagging than the weed guard. I found this out years ago when tossing primarily 1/4oz, 5/16oz and 3/8oz Buckeye Spot Removers. Amazing how much less you catch rocks when bumping down to a 3/16th or 1/8th oz head. If I am fishing a Ned it's usually not out past 20-25 FOW so I don't need a heavy head. If it's windy (isn't TR always?) the Ned usually sucks in that condition anyhow and I'd switch to a different bait all together. So the lighter weights, say 1/8th and 3/16oz IMO are better all around for the lil' guy.

37 minutes ago, Flippin said:

Bo I used you crappie jigs when they first came out on the TRD and if I remember correctly they have the molded in keeper.  Is that correct?

yes, they do have, but i do not have any issues in gluing the doodle on and it staying.  you just have to put more force in holding the doodle up against the back of the head and hold it while the glue dries.  the one before last that i glued on was on there for almost four months and was nothing more than a rag.  never did come off.  the hook broke setting on a fish, but after a hundred fish or so fatigue got it.

the bottom pick was the one that i used that long.  you can see that the top has pulled away from the base of the head, but is still stuck to the neck.

bo 

I did end up gluing the TRD on but it was a little challenging.  If there was a way you could make those with a wire keeper that would be great for the Ned rig.  The wire keepers allows me the ability to swap out the TRD very quickly on the jig if I am needing change colors.