2019 Garden Thread

ness

Doing research, the Arkansas Black seemed to be the most resistant to disease and keeps in storage best.  Can't say that I have ever saw one in a store.

University of MO Ext site has some good info on fruit trees.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

We had some trees for many years, hopefully still alive this year.  Don't get ripe until about deer season, have dug many of them out of the grass and snow to make pies.  Last few years warm gall weather has caused them to rot after they fall.  And they are some rock hard ones until ripe, but have a wonderful flavor.

I had a really rough late summer, fall and winter.  Really didn't get to do hardly anything.  We are going to make up for lost time this spring and summer and I am not even going to try to garden knowing how much we want to be travelling.  Good luck to you all, I will be frequenting farmer's markets instead.

7 hours ago, Terrierman said:

I had a really rough late summer, fall and winter.  Really didn't get to do hardly anything.  We are going to make up for lost time this spring and summer and I am not even going to try to garden knowing how much we want to be travelling.  Good luck to you all, I will be frequenting farmer's markets instead.

If you ever get North you can pick in our meager garden Rick. Never forget that.

So have more tubs ready for making wickers. Invested in a 4 1/8th inch hole saw that will make things go so much easier that a jig saw for the wicking pipe. Got to get on this project. So I finally got the lettuce from starting trays into big beds. Looked pretty poor but perking up now.thumbnail_0324191208.jpg

In second bed the rest of the lettuce starts. Slim pickings and not too healthy. Look like crap. Had enough for one side. thumbnail_0324191209.jpg

The other side I put some popsicle sticks for the layout and planted more lettuce a few days ago.

thumbnail_0324191209a.jpg It is sprouting I noticed today. It second bed becomes a wash it is OK. One bed is really enough and we end up giving to others.

Tomatoes and Peppers in starting trays. Nothing sprouting yet,

BilletHead

thumbnail_0318191212.jpg

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

• 3 weeks later...

Coming along,

The tomato starts need pulled from the starter trays and repotted. The pepper starts did not sprout at all so I suppose I will be buying my pepper plants this season. First time this has happened to us. thumbnail_0411190916.jpg Actually have had the tomatoes on back porch getting subdued sunshine through the screen. Brought them in this morning and put back under UV. 72 when we got up and dropped to 48 by noon. Bounced back up to 58 now.  Lettuce going strong. We are so ready for good greens,

thumbnail_0410191405.jpg

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

My bonsai made it through the winter thanks to @Johnsfolly.   Thanks!  

I would’ve watched it die on the kitchen table.  I saw quite a few YouTube videos about the care they need.  I bought it from a Japanese lady in a van on the side of the road last year.  I buried the pot and all in the dropping’s from my arborvitae in a protected spot and never touched it.  

I’ll bring it in this week to prune and fertilize.  The second is a roughly 10 year old redbud that popped up and we are training it to a trellis that’s 6’ tall  

F9CF75A7-E77A-4E32-A165-F10975E9B1D2.jpeg

4C2E21D6-A3BE-4EB4-BB19-381D5D1C631E.jpeg

0703F937-3412-46D2-A7C9-617287041DDD.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got things in the ground last Saturday. Maters, peppers and lettuce transplants. Radish, beets, snap peas and beans planted. By 4:00 a rabbit had mowed down most of one pepper. By today all the peppers were gone and a lot of the lettuce. Maters got left alone-so far. Dang it! Those waskly wabbits may get a bb in the butt!!

John