2019 Garden Thread

ness

12 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

We are trying strawberries.....again.  

This time in giant pots on the front deck, which my wife filled in the driveway and THEN wanted them moved to the covered part of the deck.  

Look how nicely that worked out...

What? Why grow strawberries when you can buy them already chemically sprayed, bug free, picked, on an easily accessible refrigerated shelf, and they taste just as good? Oh wait -- I see Sugar Britches is in the equation. Never mind. :D 

John

She only goes on trip's that she knows I won't go on.  I think it's the whole absence makes the heart grow fonder thing.   If she doesn't get away from me periodically she's afraid that my banter will start making sense to her, and she'll lose touch with her carefully screened version of reality.

Therefore I just booked a cute little cabin in Pigeon Forge TN so she and her gal pals could go hang out with Dolly Parton for a week. 😏

I’m pissed.

By Thursday all the lettuce and peppers were mowed down to ground level. Parsley and dill chewed down to the stems. Some of the onions pulled up and gnawed on. Maters ok and the rest of the herbs too, but dang it. Found some lettuce plants and bought a bunch this morning. Put them in the ground, covered them with wire cages and shook a bunch of cayenne pepper over everything. By 6:00 one of the cages was nudged over and one lettuce plant was gone and another was pulled out of the ground.

John

8 hours ago, ness said:

I’m pissed.

By Thursday all the lettuce and peppers were mowed down to ground level. Parsley and dill chewed down to the stems. Some of the onions pulled up and gnawed on. Maters ok and the rest of the herbs too, but dang it. Found some lettuce plants and bought a bunch this morning. Put them in the ground, covered them with wire cages and shook a bunch of cayenne pepper over everything. By 6:00 one of the cages was nudged over and one lettuce plant was gone and another was pulled out of the ground.

Shoot the deer or groundhog. Or Mexican immigrant that likes spiced lettuce!  Cinc de mayo!

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

Freakin’ animals are making me nuts this spring. Had a robin (maybe 2?) build a double wide nest over my front window. Two together. Knocked those down and thankfully there were no eggs. Later that day mamma decides she’ll rebuild above the front door. Full nest built quickly with plenty of mud on the porch, storm door, siding. Knocked that down. By a couple hours later there was a new nest well underway. Knocked that down. Within a few hours another new one was underway. Knocked that one down too. Like the dude in Holy Grail who kept building new castles in the swamp on the ruins of the old. Got out the hose and sprayed everything down good. Lots of grass and mud up there. After that was cleaned out I got out the step ladder and sprinkled cayenne pepper up there. Seems to have changed her mind. Though she may just be waiting for me to go to work tomorrow. 

Speaking of work, there’s a sparrow nest pretty near where I park. No poop problems so I just keep parking there. Then last week there’s a dead chick on the hood of my car. Didn’t have anything handy, so I figured I’d start driving and it would eventually blow off. Nope. Turns out sparrow chicks are pretty sticky. 

John