Kim City - Jan 27 vertical and horizontal bite

Dock-in-it

I struggled on Jan 24-26 catching only one fish in about 7 hrs of fishing. I could find mountains of shad, but no active fish. This morning I was able to find the bait and active fish. I capitalized on a early 30 minute horizontal bite that was done by 8AM. I had 5 good keepers, mostly largemouths including a 6.8 lbs and a 3lbs. They came on a 4" yamamoto grub in smoke/red flake on a 3/8 jig head. I would cast the grub and just countdown to 3 or 4 seconds. From 8-10AM, I caught 7 more keepers vertical fishing with a 7/8oz slab spoon. One of those was a 4lbs largemouth and the rest were mainly Kentuckies. I did not catch one vertical fish on the ice jig and I wasted a lot of time trying. The vertical fish wanted the slab spoon near the bottom and just barely twitching it about every 5 seconds. I could not catch any vertical fish that were above 35ft. The vertical fish are very stubborn and you have to have more patients than they do. I kept the boat in 40 to 55 feet of water. Water temp is between 43.5 and 44.5. There are two pictures of the 6.8 LM and the other two pics are the 3lbs and 4lbs LM. So 12 keepers and about 25 total.

20190127_073923.jpg

20190127_073800.jpg

20190127_075652.jpg

20190127_093854.jpg

View full article

Excellent - Are you willing to tell what kinda of ground you found fish on yesterday? i.e creek guts, main lake points, flats, gravel runouts???  I'm thinking the same type ground should work down near the darn.

Thanks

Bobby 

23 hours ago, Dock-in-it said:

I struggled on Jan 24-26 catching only one fish in about 7 hrs of fishing. I could find mountains of shad, but no active fish. This morning I was able to find the bait and active fish. I capitalized on a early 30 minute horizontal bite that was done by 8AM. I had 5 good keepers, mostly largemouths including a 6.8 lbs and a 3lbs. They came on a 4" yamamoto grub in smoke/red flake on a 3/8 jig head. I would cast the grub and just countdown to 3 or 4 seconds. From 8-10AM, I caught 7 more keepers vertical fishing with a 7/8oz slab spoon. One of those was a 4lbs largemouth and the rest were mainly Kentuckies. I did not catch one vertical fish on the ice jig and I wasted a lot of time trying. The vertical fish wanted the slab spoon near the bottom and just barely twitching it about every 5 seconds. I could not catch any vertical fish that were above 35ft. The vertical fish are very stubborn and you have to have more patients than they do. I kept the boat in 40 to 55 feet of water. Water temp is between 43.5 and 44.5. There are two pictures of the 6.8 LM and the other two pics are the 3lbs and 4lbs LM. So 12 keepers and about 25 total.

20190127_073923.jpg

20190127_073800.jpg

20190127_075652.jpg

20190127_093854.jpg

View full article

CONGRATS!!!!.....those are definitely some of the better fish I have seen posted from Table rock in a while, kudos to you!!!