Kim City - Jan 27 vertical and horizontal bite

Dock-in-it

that is figuring them out!  it also goes to show how this time of the year, the windows of opportunity are few because of the bass's metabolism being slowed down and therefore do not need to feed often, which makes it even harder to entice a strike out of them.

i had been wondering if anyone had taken advantage of the better weather yesterday.  i say that quillback found some success doodle fishing yesterday.

i am hitchhiking right now, but it really has not been the best weather to be out in and i most often do not fish on sundays.  really glad to see that 6 lber.  fisherman had a 7 a week or so ago back up this way.  i have not heard if anyone is getting any on the a-rig yet, but i would think it should be time that it begins to get some.

i am ready for night fishing.  full moon of march is around the 21st.  got to have weather cooperation and it could mean a two or three night excursion down to bull shoals with the orange hair jig and spring lizard pup.

bo

2 hours ago, bobby b. said:

Excellent - Are you willing to tell what kinda of ground you found fish on yesterday? i.e creek guts, main lake points, flats, gravel runouts???  I'm thinking the same type ground should work down near the darn.

Thanks

Bobby 

Lately, I have been avoiding creeks and staying on the main lake. Staying on the main lake limits your location options for a particular day because of wind speed and direction. For quality LM locations I look for deep scattered trees associated with a deep gut or channel swing and you need plenty of shad in the general area. Start looking at daylight and do not stop the boat until you say WOW. The feeding period is short and you can not waste time in a marginal location. Currently, I try to keep my boat in 50-75 ft while searching. The gravel flats will hold them, just start looking in 50' and look for fish more so than shad. Winter winds do not give you many days to fish gravel flats.I struggle on plenty of days, but I enjoy getting even with them from time to time.

quote from dock-in-it " I could not catch any vertical fish that were above 35ft."  this brought to mind something that i've talked about many times, and that is the fact than quite often when bass are 35 ft. and above that you will not catch many if any at all vertical fishing, and hardly ever good ones.  this is why your horizontal fishing has been producing better for you.

bo

4 minutes ago, merc1997 said:

quite often when bass are 35 ft. and above that you will not catch many if any at all vertical fishing

You mean in the winter (loss of thermocline) , Correct?  This would not apply to summer time vertical fishing, Correct?

Bobby

4 minutes ago, bobby b. said:

You mean in the winter (loss of thermocline) , Correct?  This would not apply to summer time vertical fishing, Correct?

Bobby

no, it has to do more with the electronics, i think anyway.  over the years, even back in the days of the flasher i've noticed that bass are very hard to be successful with vertical fishing when they are 35ft. and above.  there are many days that bass that are 50 ft. deep seem to be caught more successfully by casting to them instead of sitting on top of them.   i know that video game fishing is all the rage now, but it can limit your success of catching not only more numbers but better quality bass.  electronics are invaluable to know where the bass are, but there are many times back off and cast to them and you will have more success.  yes, when bass are suspended, keeping your lure at the correct depth on retrieve separates the men from the boys so to speak, but it is something is actually easy to learn with some practice.

bo