Bass Pro Tour

Alex Heitman

6 minutes ago, abkeenan said:

Yes.

Then I don't get the "skill" factor. I'm not a lake user at all, Have little interest in the contests, but it seems that if you can see the fish you have half the battle won.

2 minutes ago, dblades said:

I'm positive I haven't paid nearly enough attention to any of it to know what it is.

Yeah, the rules of this thing are kind of murky so far.  Looks like each stage is 5 days of fishing with 40 anglers per day for the first 4 days and then the top 40 from those in the last day and all weights are set back to 0 for that day.

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

1 hour ago, abkeenan said:

I just don't like giving real time updates to the other anglers. Wish it would be kept secret til the end of the day. 

It probably harms more than it helps. If I was out there I would never look at it. You gotta fish your game and forget about what everyone else is doing. 

11 minutes ago, Flysmallie said:

It probably harms more than it helps. If I was out there I would never look at it. You gotta fish your game and forget about what everyone else is doing. 

Yeah if you have ever watched the Cup events they've had the anglers that are always worried about what the others are doing by asking for the marshal to read off the  scoretracker, they are always the ones that do poorly because it makes them stress out and gets them off their game.

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

40 minutes ago, tjm said:

Then I don't get the "skill" factor. I'm not a lake user at all, Have little interest in the contests, but it seems that if you can see the fish you have half the battle won.

There is definitely a skill to it. It's all about reading it and interpreting what it means in order to be more successful. Has it helped fishermen catch more fish since the first sonar was introduced? Absolutely. But it's a level playing field where every angler has access to that technology thus making it fair for all.