Best Wiggle Wart Replacement Hooks

*T*

Super sharp hooks make a difference with hard baits / trebles more than other baits.  Not for digging into the flesh on a hookset, but rather for grabbing when the fish tries to spit it out.

No matter how good you think you are, especially this time of year with jerk baits...a fish will suck it in and spit it out with out you ever knowing it.  I do believe that the super sharp hooks, such as the out barbs that come on the megabass baits increase hook up ratio as they will "stick" until you set the hook vs just being spit out.  I dont think the KVD's hold a candle to the Megabass hooks.  I'm going to order some of these death traps and give t hem a try, it looks like they might just fit the bill.

Diachi D Traps or KVD for me.  Both worked well when I had time to fish.

How many on here remember when Storm was going out and Bass Pro Shops ran them for $1.99 each? Probably 15-18 yrs ago now????  A buddy at BPS called and told me they were going on sale.  Went in the first morning and bought them by the box (of 12 I think) as they were getting ready to open them and dump them. My cart was running over with boxes of them.  Another buddy was in there doing the same. Went in the second day and bought more. Stopped by 4th or 5th day and they put a 10 per limit on them. Boy was my wife mad at me. Glad she didn't see half the baits I paid cash for. E-bay was going crazy for them. Steelhead guys were paying $75-$80 for some of the metallic colors. Never hated the fish that much.

I've tried a handful of the most popular brands of hooks including Daiichi Death Traps, Mustad Triple Grips/KVD Elites, Owner Stingers, Gamakatsu's, Berkley Fusion,  VMC and Trokar. In my opinion the "sharpness" of the hooks would rank in this order:

1-Owner

2-Gammy

3-Daiichi

4-Trokar

5-Mustad

6-Berkley Fusion

7-VMC

43 - Dishonorable Mention - Eagle Claw

But sharpness doesn't tell the entire story as some wire diameters are thicker than others and that of course effects ease of penetration. Also effects the weighting of the bait where it matters such as in suspending baits or sink rates. Other notable hook characteristics: stoutness (how easily they bend) and hook point durability/rolling.  I would say that Trokar rates very high in both resisting bending out and keeping a sharp point with use. Problem with Trokar is you need to take out a 2nd mortgage to replace all the hooks in your crank box with them. But they are nice hooks. Different hooks call for different situations and different baits but all things above considered and price taken into consideration I think Owner Stingers are pound for pound the best hooks. That includes trebles, EWG, J Bend Worm, etc. I also like that Owner offers quite a few options as far as wire thickness/strength in the Stinger line (ST-36, ST-41-ST-56, ST-66). Also that they have that size 5 treble that others don't offer (Gammy does) that work great on warts, rock crawlers and 110's/McSticks/jerkbaits. Daiichi are nice hooks especially for what they charge for them. Probably the best "value" hook out there right now.

As far as the "out-barb" hooks that Megabass likes to use I am not an engineer so I don't know the science of logic behind that hook design. Maybe our in-house hook expert Bo can chime in. I know he is all into planes, pulls, levers and angles to give the angler the best chance of hooking up and keeping the fish pinned. Bo, if you do chime in what are your thoughts on the science behind the Trapper brand of hooks and their outside-the-box design (below).

Trapper Tackle Standard Round Bend Treble Hooks

1 hour ago, abkeenan said:

43 - Dishonorable Mention - Eagle Claw

ouch, dishonorable mention?    seriously why do you think they are so terrible?  They seem sharp enough to hook a fish. I've caught thousands of bass with eagle claw trebles over the last 40 years, so have prob most of you over 50yo reading this right now ,not to mention all the other species that were caught on them as well. 

really wish more anglers would switch over to in-line single hooks on their hard baits. 99% of the fish I hook on them are caught in the mouth, Not in the eyes or body, fins, gill plate, head or tail ect.  I've been tinkering with them for the last few years and they def. have some advantages jmo. Fish and Angler friendly ! 

https://www.google.com/search?q=inline+single+hooks&rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS709US710&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiq0_CxvaXgAhXNY98KHTZcCXsQ_AUIDygC&biw=780&bih=370&dpr=1.75

1 hour ago, Fish24/7 said:

ouch, dishonorable mention?    seriously why do you think they are so terrible?  They seem sharp enough to hook a fish. I've caught thousands of bass with eagle claw trebles over the last 40 years, so have prob most of you over 50yo reading this right now ,not to mention all the other species that were caught on them as well. 

really wish more anglers would switch over to in-line single hooks on their hard baits. 99% of the fish I hook on them are caught in the mouth, Not in the eyes or body, fins, gill plate, head or tail ect.  I've been tinkering with them for the last few years and they def. have some advantages jmo. Fish and Angler friendly ! 

https://www.google.com/search?q=inline+single+hooks&rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS709US710&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiq0_CxvaXgAhXNY98KHTZcCXsQ_AUIDygC&biw=780&bih=370&dpr=1.75

If you go single line, and I am making that move with my jigging spoons, the VMC hooks are good.