OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
dan hufferd

Favorite fish coating, or favorite fish recipes

38 minutes ago, Bushbeater said:

Can we fry em in bacon grease. Sounds good to me.

Silly Bushbeater, the bacon grease is for the fried taters.  However I would totally try fillets fried in bacon grease.😆

Andy’s red is my favorite but too spicy for many; for company I mix 50/50 with the mild or white.  I dip filets in milk and toss in the dry mix, shake off excess and into the hot oil.

Mike

Ritz crackers, flour, salt, pepper

milk, eggs

crisco usually, but do use bacon grease pretty regular 

dust with flour first, dip in eggs/milk then coat wit ritz/flour mixture, fry till it floats  

also use bacon grease when I pop my popcorn 🍿 

Salt, pepper, a bit of Old Bay, dust well with flour, dip in egg blended with a bit of water, shake off the excess egg, roll and cover with panko, let sit 15 minutes or so, fry in medium high neutral oil until golden brown, salt lightly again, serve with spicy fruit salsa on the side.

image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

image.png

If you want to retain the true flavor of the fish you are frying, use "Old Fashioned Fry Meal". If you want your fish to taste like something other than fish, then I don't know what to tell you. This fry meal is sold at the Mennonite stores like "Miller's Country Store" near bssp.

45 minutes ago, laker67 said:

If you want to retain the true flavor of the fish you are frying, use "Old Fashioned Fry Meal". If you want your fish to taste like something other than fish, then I don't know what to tell you. This fry meal is sold at the Mennonite stores like "Miller's Country Store" near bssp.

I'm with Laker. I want fish to taste like they are supposed to. Each and ever species has a distinctive taste. We do occasionally use a spicy commercial batter to just S&P mixed in with flour but by far thick meaty fish get a brush of olive oil, sprinkle of S&P and maybe some rosemary. Then on a charcoal or gas grill and a quick cook. When meat goes from transparent to translucent to opaque pull it off. Man I think I need to thaw some walleye fillets pronto!

BilletHead