Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ness said:

I kinda think the kayaks have become popular because they’re tricked out with cup holders, rod holders, covered storage, nice seats, fishfinder mounts, etc. They appeal to that inner kid in us that wants all the bells and whistles on our crap. They look cool. They’re the new, new thing, and the companies selling them, especially Jackson, have done a great job marketing them. To me, they’re too heavy to be considered and I’ve seen how awkward they are to load. 

The beauty in a canoe is in its versatility. 

From what I’ve seen it’s a trend towards DIY outdoors.  I see them more and more at boat ramps like bicycler’s at the trail parking lot.  The number of cyclist has gone through the roof in the past few years.  Now on a nice weekend you’ll have a hard time even getting in the trail Parking  lots. 3 years ago it was never a thought. 

BTW, there is only one boat ramp and a big parking lot.   Use the parking lot to load your kayak. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It will work for old folks,              Dang I am so ready for spring,   BilletHead

Think of it like your first car that you paid for.  Get what you can afford, that seems to suit you for your conditions.  Lost of information to digest, and none is incorrect.  Buy used, figure out wh

I grow weary of the whole canoe/kayak argument.  It should be obvious to any thinking person that it is a world of compromise.  If a kayak suits your needs great, that does not mean that a canoe is ba

Posted Images

2 hours ago, ness said:

I kinda think the kayaks have become popular because they’re tricked out with cup holders, rod holders, covered storage, nice seats, fishfinder mounts, etc. They appeal to that inner kid in us that wants all the bells and whistles on our crap. They look cool. They’re the new, new thing, and the companies selling them, especially Jackson, have done a great job marketing them. To me, they’re too heavy to be considered and I’ve seen how awkward they are to load. 

The beauty in a canoe is in its versatility. 

                John,

  How many times have you sat and fished out of a fishing type kayak? A stable fishing kayak you can stand in?  I know blah, blah, blah some of you think you don't need to or want to stand once and awhile.  Our kayaks have a low seat, high seat and we can stand in them if we want to. I am not going to run white water in them though! As far as loading and unloading. Don't carry them on top of a car but have no problem getting into the bed of my pickup or on bed top homemade racks.  We don't overnight float so bash our rigs for that.  Guys backpack for weeks in the mountains and I know for a fact I can get that much stuff in them for that. I know you river floaters take wall tents and better comforts and for sure a kayak will not work,

    BilletHead 

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

   If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

    " Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

         "Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

    " One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

  P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Link to post
Share on other sites

          It will work for old folks,

DSCF2485 - Copy.JPGDSCF2488 - Copy.JPGDSCF2489 - Copy.JPGDSCF2491 - Copy.JPGDSCF2497 - Copy.JPGDSCF2473 - Copy.JPG

 

           Dang I am so ready for spring,

  BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

   If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

    " Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

         "Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

    " One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

  P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Link to post
Share on other sites

I grow weary of the whole canoe/kayak argument.  It should be obvious to any thinking person that it is a world of compromise.  If a kayak suits your needs great, that does not mean that a canoe is bad and the reverse is also true.  If you are able to post online you should be able to figure out what attributes are important to you and what are not, make your decision based on what you need.  Don't let it become a Ford/Chevy argument where neither side is actually right and certainly no one will admit they may be wrong.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BilletHead said:

                John,

  How many times have you sat and fished out of a fishing type kayak? A stable fishing kayak you can stand in?  I know blah, blah, blah some of you think you don't need to or want to stand once and awhile.  Our kayaks have a low seat, high seat and we can stand in them if we want to. I am not going to run white water in them though! As far as loading and unloading. Don't carry them on top of a car but have no problem getting into the bed of my pickup or on bed top homemade racks.  We don't overnight float so bash our rigs for that.  Guys backpack for weeks in the mountains and I know for a fact I can get that much stuff in them for that. I know you river floaters take wall tents and better comforts and for sure a kayak will not work,

    BilletHead 

Didn’t say they didn’t work for fishing. In my earlier post I was mainly addressing why I feel they’ve become popular, and also a little about why I don’t think it’s a good fit for me.

I don’t own a truck and never will. Just doesn’t fit my lifestyle. My <50 pound Vagabond is a piece of cake to load onto my SUV, and I just like it as a no-nonsense fishing vessel that carries all the stuff I need. Not interested in overnight trips anymore, and my stream fishing tends toward wading smaller creeks these days. Got a Wenonah tandem for when I want to take somebody with me. Both easily fit in my garage. It just works best for me. 

John

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Al Agnew said:

Two things I don't get...the assertion that solo canoe seats are less comfortable, and the assertion that it's easier to get on or off or in or out of a SOT kayak.  I've paddled quite a bit now in both, and HATE getting off or onto an SOT compared to a canoe.  I can paddle the canoe right up onto the bank and just step out.  I have to keep the kayak in 18 inches of water and slide off it...maybe that's because I have pretty short legs, but I always feel like I'm about to fall off the SOT when I'm trying to get off it.  As for the seat, sure, a nice seat back on the kayak is comfortable compared to the bench seat with no back in a canoe, but you can get a bunch of aftermarket seat backs for canoes, and the fact that you're sitting in the canoe a lot more like you're sitting in a chair, rather than sitting within 6 inches of the floor like you are in a kayak, makes the canoe far more comfortable as long as I have a good seat back.

As for stowing rods horizontally, that's another big advantage to the canoe.  Keep in mind here I'm talking ONLY about solo canoes, which is the only thing you should be comparing kayaks to.  A tandem canoe is doable by yourself but it's not FUN.  Solo canoes are FUN to paddle.  

 

I used canoes for many years before getting into kayaks. Yes, it is easy to hop out of a canoe just as it is a SOT. Getting back in is a different story. A SOT kayak gunwale is a few inches off the water surface...maybe 6” on my Coosa HD. A canoe is in the 10-12+ inch range. That’s a big difference when trying to sling your leg over in any depth of water. I have hopped back onto my kayak in waist deep water. That would have been impossible on a canoe without tipping. Even if I made it in, I’d be filling it up with water that would need to be bailed out later. This is especially useful when fishing upstream. I can wade quietly with the kayak tied to my waist. When it gets too deep, I pop back in and paddle. 

I have done the stadium seat thing on canoes. It’s nowhere near the comfort of a GOOD kayak seat. Half the time the stadium seats come lose, but even if you get one that fits tight, they aren’t adjustable like kayak seats and don’t have near the back support. You also can’t pull them out and use them to sit on the ground like a lawnchair during lunch or overnight. 

Horizontal rod storage is probably a tie. Kayaks like the Coosa HD have horizontal storage for one rod in each side but you can actually put 4 in there and those four will stay there even if you tip. Then you can fit 3 comfortable (up to 5) between your legs.

Al, I’m curious why kayaks you’ve tried? Have you used any quality ones like a Jackson Coosa, Coosa HD, Cuda, etc., Sea Ghost, Predator Bonafide, etc. etc. It’s not the same experience as a “fishing” kayak from a Walmart or a big retail sporting goods store. 

"Of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy."

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, timinmo said:

I grow weary of the whole canoe/kayak argument.  It should be obvious to any thinking person that it is a world of compromise.  If a kayak suits your needs great, that does not mean that a canoe is bad and the reverse is also true.  If you are able to post online you should be able to figure out what attributes are important to you and what are not, make your decision based on what you need.  Don't let it become a Ford/Chevy argument where neither side is actually right and certainly no one will admit they may be wrong.    

 

52 minutes ago, ness said:

Didn’t say they didn’t work for fishing. In my earlier post I was mainly addressing why I feel they’ve become popular, and also a little about why I don’t think it’s a good fit for me.

I don’t own a truck and never will. Just doesn’t fit my lifestyle. My <50 pound Vagabond is a piece of cake to load onto my SUV, and I just like it as a no-nonsense fishing vessel that carries all the stuff I need. Not interested in overnight trips anymore, and my stream fishing tends toward wading smaller creeks these days. Got a Wenonah tandem for when I want to take somebody with me. Both easily fit in my garage. It just works best for me. 

     Excuse me boys I was not arguing at all. I was simply responding to the original poster about what fits our needs and asking ness if he had ever been in one? That and talking about camping.  To each his own and I am not trying to change your minds. Have you been in a fishing kayak one @ness. Also I have seen your nice new ride. Pictures please of it in there with hatch closed. That rig is too nice to slide a canoe in IMO. I know you are not asking but a small trailer would be nice. Yes canoes make great transportation. Our first natives and our first settlers and trappers did just that,

   BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

   If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

    " Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

         "Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

    " One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

  P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, timinmo said:

Top Dollar

Don't know where you live but I live just south of St. Louis.  I have an older aluminum canoe that you could have at a very, very reasonable price.  I just have too many canoes.  It is not perfect but it is perfectly serviceable.  Let me know if you want it and I'm sure we can work some thing out. 

Sure I'm very Interested.  Idk why I'm not able to send you a message directly, but feel free to email me directly at mjkeene86@gmail.com 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.