fish cleaning

97procraft

Are there any public fish cleaning stations on the lake?  When I go crappie fishing I usually go down for the weekend and stay at a resort and use their facilities.  For those of you who go for the day, where do you clean your fish?  

When I go I have a ironing board and a DC filet knife and clean them there.  Over the years I have come up with some ways to help out.  I carry three five gallon buckets.  One is full of fresh water from home with a lid so I don't have to carry a bucket of water up from the ramp (and fresh water is better).  The other two are used one for fish from the live well and one for guts. This has worked for me well and it leaves the mess at the lake.  I also started carrying those empty plastic ice cream containers to put my fillets in.  It can set there on the board and I can throw the fillets in.  I used to keep zip lock bags but always had to fight keeping the bag open to get the fillets in. Hope this helps.

Earl Stuart

fishin is livin

15 minutes ago, stuartsx5 said:

When I go I have a ironing board and a DC filet knife and clean them there.  Over the years I have come up with some ways to help out.  I carry three five gallon buckets.  One is full of fresh water from home with a lid so I don't have to carry a bucket of water up from the ramp (and fresh water is better).  The other two are used one for fish from the live well and one for guts. This has worked for me well and it leaves the mess at the lake.  I also started carrying those empty plastic ice cream containers to put my fillets in.  It can set there on the board and I can throw the fillets in.  I used to keep zip lock bags but always had to fight keeping the bag open to get the fillets in. Hope this helps.

I'm going with you!!!:)

Technically, while on the banks you are supposed to keep the head and tail intact.  So if you fillet them on the bank I guess you are SUPPOSED TO keep the carcasses with the fillets until after you leave the lake.  

Lots of people clean their fish from docks and at ramps however, so I think that's one of those rules that never gets inforced.

22 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

Technically, while on the banks you are supposed to keep the head and tail intact.  So if you fillet them on the bank I guess you are SUPPOSED TO keep the carcasses with the fillets until after you leave the lake.  

Lots of people clean their fish from docks and at ramps however, so I think that's one of those rules that never gets inforced.

That is the way I understand it also but I thought once the boat it out of the water and you are in the parking lot you were fine.  I have seen folks with a board on the side of the boat cleaning them as they caught them and throwing the carcass over board.  I'm not brave enough to do that.

Earl Stuart

fishin is livin

I have fileted thousands of fish on my dock and will hopefully do quite a few more.  Never had an issue with the man, but I have seen others get written up - you just never know who is in that boat fishing nearby.

Mike

28 minutes ago, nomolites said:

I have fileted thousands of fish on my dock and will hopefully do quite a few more.  Never had an issue with the man, but I have seen others get written up - you just never know who is in that boat fishing nearby.

Mike

It's a green and white Crownline bowrider, just so ya know.  

😎