OzarkAnglers.Com Forum

7 minutes ago, Ryan Miloshewski said:

Cool, learning already. I think I am just going to have to waste a lot of dubbing and thread to finally get it down. I also have the problem of the dubbing coming undone as a wind. I assume it's just a product of not wrapping i tightly on the thread. I'll tie one and it looks good, then the other I immediately cut everything off the hook and start over. 

It's easier to start slim and build it up.  Lots a YouTube videos to help you.

9 minutes ago, Ryan Miloshewski said:

Cool, learning already. I think I am just going to have to waste a lot of dubbing and thread to finally get it down. I also have the problem of the dubbing coming undone as a wind. I assume it's just a product of not wrapping i tightly on the thread. I'll tie one and it looks good, then the other I immediately cut everything off the hook and start over. 

I am a neophyte to tying flies as well...nice to hear I am not alone!

Mike

36 minutes ago, Ryan Miloshewski said:

When it starts coming undone just reach up and give it a little twist to tighten it back up. 

As others have said, it just takes a very small pinch.  I think techniques for applying it are going to vary.  I spin it both ways between my fingers and work it down the thread so it's thin as possible and tight.  No wax usually to save time.  I just use regular thread in a color that matches the dubbing.  Sometimes I'll use a thin piece of wire or monofilament for the ribs.  

4 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

The transparent look it gives to scud patterns really gives me confidence.  

A wet TC looks so much like the real thing.....if nothing else it gives me lots of confidence.

Well it is all about confidence in what you are using. 

A wet TC does look a lot like the real thing except for that barb sticking out of it posterior. 

2 hours ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I use 6X fluoro all the time.  I never glue my whip finish either.  Never use wax either. 

BBEE2A56-1E30-4B87-AC97-46E3882B5813.jpeg

That looks good. I think guy in the video was using something heavier. Just didn't look like it wanted to stay in place. I watched a second trout crack video and the guy used mono and it was a better tie overall. 

Just now, ness said:

That looks good. I think guy in the video was using something heavier. Just didn't look like it wanted to stay in place. I watched a second trout crack video and the guy used mono and it was a better tie overall. 

Yeah Zach doesn't do it all that well actually.   But I'm not making a TC video so.....  😋

Dubbing takes practice. Looks like your in KC. Too bad. T Hargrove in STL does fly tying several times a week. $10 a class, materials and hooks provided. Usually have 12-20 tying. Call Craig at the shop, he runs that show. Scuds & Sows are easy. Fur bugs work as well or better than fancy ties and take less than a minute to tie if your hooks are weighted and ready to go.