OzarkAnglers.Com Forum

I can tie a unit to uni very easily. I just can’t stand that knot bumping thru the guides. 

If your leader and main line are of equal pound test, you will get a fair amount of breaks at the Alberto knot. Sucks, but that’s been my experience. 

42 minutes ago, Ham said:

I can tie a unit to uni very easily. I just can’t stand that knot bumping thru the guides. 

If your leader and main line are of equal pound test, you will get a fair amount of breaks at the Alberto knot. Sucks, but that’s been my experience. 

I tracked my failures with the Alberto back to this.  

I typically use an Alberto knot for joining braid to fluorocarbon and a uni to uni for mono to fluorocarbon/mono. I love the FG knot for joining braid to fluorocarbon BUT it is hit or miss whether I tie it properly. Not sure what the secret is to that one, but it is amazing when the braid grabs hold of the leader. A lot of times it all just pulls apart though.

1 hour ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

That’s a great idea!!!  Never crossed my mind to double it.   Does it pull together okay that way?

I have some trouble sometimes. But I have trouble with even the simplest knots, not much of a boy scout.

FG is best. It just grabs the line like a Chinese finger trap… There’s really no hard curve in the line that would cause the knot to break. It’s also extremely thin.