Jump to content
OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Quillback

Lawsuit- AR farmers vs COE

Recommended Posts

Saw in yesterdays' paper that farmers that farm along the lower White river are filing a lawsuit against the COE.  They are claiming the COE changed it's water management policies to favor recreational use instead of focusing solely on flood management.  The farmers have been flooded out several times over the last decade or so and are suing to get paid for loss of crops caused by flood damage.  

That's a basic summation of what I read.  Don't know if this will lead to changes in the way the COE releases water in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Quillback said:

Saw in yesterdays' paper that farmers that farm along the lower White river are filing a lawsuit against the COE.  They are claiming the COE changed it's water management policies to favor recreational use instead of focusing solely on flood management.  The farmers have been flooded out several times over the last decade or so and are suing to get paid for loss of crops caused by flood damage.  

That's a basic summation of what I read.  Don't know if this will lead to changes in the way the COE releases water in the future.

I didn't learn much about the full crop insurance program, as I don't sell that.  But, I would believe the farmers would be covered for loss of crops in that instance.  I know that doesn't cover the farmer who decides to opt out of that coverage,  and suffers a loss.  Just my first thoughts.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Daryk Campbell Sr said:

I didn't learn much about the full crop insurance program, as I don't sell that.  But, I would believe the farmers would be covered for loss of crops in that instance.  I know that doesn't cover the farmer who decides to opt out of that coverage,  and suffers a loss.  Just my first thoughts.  

Insurance costs money.  And  insurance companies are in it to make money.  I am sure the risk guys see what is going on and rates will rise costing the farmers more money.  Either way, farmers are at a loss.  Tax payer dollars spent on flood control and its not happening. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jdmidwest said:

Insurance costs money.  And  insurance companies are in it to make money.  I am sure the risk guys see what is going on and rates will rise costing the farmers more money.  Either way, farmers are at a loss.  Tax payer dollars spent on flood control and its not happening. 

 

Yup.  The worst part of this circle, is crop insurance is gov't funded, and regulated.  So is flood insurance.  The insurance companies have no control over pricing, and regulations.  Every company will offer the exact same product(s).   Nothing more, nothing less.  The difference is claim quality and speed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Terrierman said:

Competing interests.  That's what the courts are for.  Who's in this one for the recreational use side?

Didn't see anyone on the rec use side, at least the article didn't mention anyone.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are saying that the COE  did manage the flooding for many years by lowering the pool in winter at a time when the flooding didn't hurt the crops, but, changed that policy so that now the flooding is in spring ruining crops or preventing working the fields. Framers have a pretty good case looks like but USACE has very deep pockets.  Think settlement and ongoing compensation, while the farmer changes use of land to pasture/hay rather than tilled crops.

Quote

It says that in order to provide "the highest quality, year-round public recreation," the Corps changed its practices "despite knowing that the direct, natural, probable and foreseeable result of that departure would be increasingly frequent, prolonged, and severe flooding" of the plaintiffs' property....
The change, the suit says, "was part of a multi-year process to appropriate a benefit for the public; namely, to increase quality year-round recreation within the River System's reservoirs and tail waters, and to preserve wetlands in the Basin."....
The suit cites findings from the University of Arkansas' Agriculture Division that flooding in 2011 resulted in about $335 million in flood damage to Arkansas farmers, while 2016 flooding caused an estimated $50 million in damage, and flooding in early 2017 caused an estimated $175 million in damage, as well as adversely affecting farming operations on nearly 1 million acres.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dam operators always "prepare for spring floods" but there aren't anymore Spring floods than there are Winter, Fall, and Summer floods.

They aren't preparing for Spring floods, they are using up water during increased power generation times.....but saying that they are "drawing down in preparation for FLOODS" makes them sound all kind and caring.   🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

17 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

Dam operators always "prepare for spring floods" but there aren't anymore Spring floods than there are Winter, Fall, and Summer floods.

They aren't preparing for Spring floods, they are using up water during increased power generation times.....but saying that they are "drawing down in preparation for FLOODS" makes them sound all kind and caring.   🙄

I reckon they should keep should the pool low enough that it could take 16" rain at any time, if it's a flood control dam it should never ever pass on more than average water down stream. Flood control is a myth, propaganda used to get people to authorize public owned power supplies. Those dams were never meant for anything  except hydro electric subsidy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.