Aluminum ATV rim corrosion

BilletHead

We have a 2004 Suzuki Vinson ATV. Been a good 4 wheeler. Use it for many things. I had a tire going flat overnight. Air it up and soap it plus the bead where tire meets rim. Couldn't find anything.  I finally put in a tub of water and sunk it. Finally bubbles but not from tire or bead but dead center on the inside of the rim?  HUH ? Then I seen the green slime also seeping through the hole. Corrosion not from the outside but the inside. Took it to a tire shop to break bead and remove tire. I asked about a tube. Well seems they either don't have one there or can't seem to get the correct one. Said if you undersize a tube it can blow out and if you oversize it gets folds and can be a problem. They suggested some stuff they could get to spray on the rim to full small pits and see if that would work. So I left the thing and went home. Googled up my unit and no rims from Suzuki available for my bike anymore. I checked bike bandit and they listed pricy aftermarket rims.  I also did some digging and others have had problems with slime in tires some said no problem. One guy said the slime website says the stuff it temporary until you get tire fixed and to not use long term, My bad as I had put slime in all four rims many moons ago because on the slime bottles it says helps prevent leaks? Later back to town to see if tire shop had done anything. Nope not yet so I asked for my tire and rim back and went to find stuff to spray rim myself. Could not find anything and the place that supplied stuff to tire shop couldn't remember where thy got it :) . Came home and cleaned and scrubbed rim with a brass brush. Oh my goodness the rim looked like swiss cheese. Pits all over and bad. I have a plan and we will see if it works. I cleaned the rims with acetone. Began to start coating with Rust-oleum leak seal flexible rubber coating. Have two coats so far and will do another and let dry a couple of days then take it back to the tire shop and put tire back on. Hope it works and if it does I will do to the other three rims as I am sure they are the same. Anyone else had a problem with aluminum rims?

BilletHead

thumbnail_0331191157_HDR.jpgthumbnail_0331191157a_HDR.jpgthumbnail_0331191526_HDR.jpg

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

33 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

Wow I’ve never seen that before and I’ve owned six 3 and 4 wheelers.  Although we did upgrade to those pricey aftermarket rim and tire combos as soon as the original tires were worn.   

They wear out faster on subdivision streets than they do trail riding😆

I bet that was fun! 

BilletHead

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

BilletHead

7 minutes ago, MOPanfisher said:

Hmm, never even heard of slime causing that.  I have it in my ATV, my mower tires, and at least one tractor tire.  I guess if I have problems now I will blame BilletHead.

Blame it on me if it happens. I am used to catching flack on all sides. 

5 minutes ago, MOPanfisher said:

Thanks. I wonder what is causing it? It is really, really bad. 

BilletHead

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead

29 minutes ago, Terrierman said:

My guess would be impurities in the aluminum.  As you know from all your boats, it normally just lasts forever no matter what.

Yes could be Rick but weird there is none whatsoever pitting or anything happening on the outside of the rims and I run through everything including caustic cow crap. Mrs. BilletHead goes to screaming when I accidentally run through a fresh one and green poop goes to flying through the air. I learned by accident if I am turning my front wheels it slings around me driving and If I make the corner just right she gets some :) .  Oh how I torment that girl,

BilletHead 

Pogo

Lefty Kreh

Lefty Kreh

BilletHead

BilletHead

BilletHead